Picture Book Illustration: From Conception to Birth 2018Register Now
A down-to-earth, hands-on workshop for the illustrator who’s looking for the inside track, packed with valuable pointers and solid advice.
Picture book illustration is a highly competitive field. Art directors and editors are not only looking for the illustrator with the right style for a particular book. The edge goes to the professional who’s confident in the craft of making picture books. This workshop is designed to give you that competitive edge by providing practical tips and direction from an art director with many years of experience working in the trenches.
It all begins with a manuscript. Prior to attending the workshop, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Select a picture book manuscript from those provided
- Determine a trim size, do sketches for a spread, and, if you choose, a cover
- Email the sketches to Tim Gillner, an art director for Boyds Mills Press
- Receive a critique and, if necessary, instructions for revision
- Submit a piece of final art
When you arrive at the workshop, Tim will review each assignment and discuss the process and results. The workshop will focus on the practical components of illustrating and making a picture book, including:
- Overall layout and design
- Drawing techniques
- Dummy preparation, book production, and printing
- Color for printing
- Q & A