Intercultural Healing Exchange
- Paititi Institute
- Feb 22, 2017 - Mar 9, 2017 (16 days)
- Program Contribution - $1,300.00 to $1,500.00 Early Bird Registration (Before December 1st) - $1,200.00 to $1,400.00 Registered Students (proof of registration required) - $1,100.00 to $1,250.00
Healers who are involved in natural healing modalities from around the globe with great diversity of natural medicine & therapy practices are wholeheartedly invited to join us for the Intercultural Healing exchange program with the Paititi Institute in the Sacred Valley of Peru.
This retreat is a powerful opportunity for healers to more deeply awaken their path of service while at the same time deepening their practice, be they a new student or a long-time practitioner. In this process healers have the opportunity to learn from and experience the Ando-Amazonian healing traditions, as well as offer their gifts as a healer to local Peruvian communities.
This program is designed for healers to deepen their personal healing experience as well as embrace the essential reciprocity inherent in nature. Intercultural exchange is a core value of Paititi Institute and we are inspired to create this container in order for healers to both learn and share, to heal and offer healing.
As an essential part of the Intercultural Healing Exchange Program, participants experience firsthand the Andean and Amazonian indigenous medicine and transformation practices, a learning process that accounts for roughly 50% of their stay. These healing traditions have the ability to greatly amplify the individual healing capacity of the natural medicine practitioners. The retreat includes at least one Ayahuasca ceremony and one San Pedro ceremony. Transformation is facilitated by formally initiated healers and guides who serve as intercultural bridges of the timeless planetary wisdom of humanity.
During the second half of the retreat, participants’ time will be dedicated to offering service in a natural medicine clinic which will be set up in a small mountain village. This can involve treating hundreds of local people from a wide range of health conditions.
Additional cultural activities will be included throughout the retreat. Activities may include the opportunity to learn about medicinal plants from Peru, hike in the mountains of the sacred valley, visit ruins, learn about traditional weaving, experience traditional dances and connect with local healers.
Clinics will be held in a small village in the region near the Sacred Valley where access to both natural and occidental health care support is limited.
The core of the clinic is based on Traditional Chinese Medicine however we welcome healers from a wide range of natural medicine modalities to participate. Common modalities incorporated include Physical Therapy, Chiropractic treatments, Craniosacral Therapy, Massage Therapy, Reiki, Homeopathy and Nutrition. Additional modalities are welcomed and depending on the skills and modalities of the practitioners present, the clinic format will be adjusted. Various skill levels from beginner to advanced are also welcomed. The variety of roles in clinics are adjusted to match the participant’s level and experience. Regardless of your experience level, we work to find a role where each participant can be most engaged.
The healing clinics are overseen by a local MD doctor, Traditional Chinese Medicine doctors, and Andean or Amazonian medicine men/women. All patients go through an intake process with a
designated team and a recommended treatment is prepared for healers to follow as a guideline.
The level of guidance and oversight will vary depending on each participants level of experience.
Clinic days can vary. Some days are quieter with down time and other clinic days will keep you on your feet with long lines of patients. Be prepared to work hard and be on your feet all day.
Contribution (14 days)
Retreat Contribution: $1300 – 1500 USD
Early Bird Contribution: $1200 – 1400 USD (if registered by December 1st)
Registered Students: $1100 – 1250 (proof of registration required)
Past IHE Participants: $925 (at cost)
Some scholarships are available for students, local Peruvians and others from developing countries with financial limitations. Contact us directly to discuss.
Why we have a Contribution and how we calculate it:
This retreat is not purely a volunteer service retreat but involves the reciprocity of both giving and receiving. We make an effort to keep our cost down so that we can make this retreat as accessible as possible. As an organization we have a transparency policy. The following is our actual per person cost for running this program. These number are based on actual cost where we have them and where we don’t have them we estimate based on past clinics expenses and average participation numbers. If we are able to reduce our cost based on higher then average participation we will extend an additional discount to the group enrolled.
Estimate cost per person
- Food (food cost and cooks): $215
- Lodging Cost: $225
- Transportation during retreat to clinics: $35
- Facilitators travel and expenses: $175
- Ceremonies and herb class (includes 1 Ayahuasca ceremony, 1 San Pedro ceremony, Quero Despacho Ceremony, Herb Class, and Cacao
- Ceremony): $170
- Supplies: $30
- Marketing: $15
- Administration: $65
TOTAL estimated cost per person: $925 USD
This cost does not include any our main facilitators who all volunteer their time.
Please understand that there must be a small profit margin for this program to be sustainable as there can always be some unexpected cost and since we are fully self funded as an organization, profit is essential to continue to evolve and grow our service. Any profits are donated towards the development of community outreach programs as well as establishing a natural medicine clinic that runs year around.
Terms & Refund policy:
- We accept payments via credit card which are made during the online application process. If you are not accepted into this program, your payment will be fully refunded.
- Your balance must be paid in full at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the program(January 11) to guarantee your reservation. We will charge your credit card on file automatically on this date. If you wish to use a different card it is your responsibility to contact us.
- Your contribution and/or deposit is refundable with 3 months advanced notice. Any refunds given (once accepted into the retreat) are subject to a 10% administration fee.
- After 3 months the 30% deposit is NOT refundable but is transferable to a future Paititi Institute program provided we receive your cancelation notice 6 weeks prior to the start date. Transferred credits are valid for up to 2 years. Any amount paid over 30% is refundable with 6 weeks notice.
- For cancellations within 6 weeks of the start date, payments are non-refundable and will only be transferable to a future program if we can fill your place in the program. We will try our best to do so.
- The payment is non-refundable and non-transferable once the program begins.
- We reserve the right to cancel this program if our minimum number of 10 participants is not met 6 weeks prior to the start date. All payments will be fully refunded if the retreat is canceled.
I participated in the Intercultural Healing Exchange program a couple years ago in Peru with the Paititi Institute. My reflections on this experience include a multitude of beautiful, profound, and life-long memories. An acupuncture student at the time, I was drawn to expand my education beyond the classroom, as well as receive inspiration and knowledge from other practitioners and students of medicine, deepening my personal journey into being a healer. What I received was much more than I imagined or expected. I gained friendships to last a life-time, and now have collegues to connect with around the country. The environment itself was healing, educational, inspirational, restful, and deeply nourishing. We had time for stillness, rest, connection, journaling, singing, purification, learning about healing herbs and permaculture, and the ability to practice our medicine. We were fed delicious and nourishing foods and a cleansing and purifying diet. Roman and Cynthia are truly serving this world in so many ways. The clinic environment was deeply touching, seeing the gratitude and vulnerability of the native people, and that they truly benefit and need medical intervention. Their access to help is limited and they have endured so much in their way of life. This is something I would return to do countless times as the reward is priceless and deeply healing. I highly recommend Cultural Healing Exchange for any student or practitioner of medicine who wants to dive deeper and be supported in the self discovery of the healer they aspire to be. This is truly an opportunity for deep personal growth, gratitude for life, and an overall joyful and positive experience. It is when we meet our edges that we soften and begin to unfold into the potential of our deepest spiritual self, and integrate this in our daily life.
View a talk by Roman Hanis about the Healing Traditions of the Amazon and Andes:
Watch a recording of the informational webinar about this program: