In the whirl of daily life, it’s hard to find room just to breathe. How do you find the space to really grow?
As a spiritual explorer or someone in a heart-centered organization, you’d like to be feeling a sense of genuine, ongoing transformation and experiencing major breakthroughs. Yet somehow you still see your habits held strongly in place - holding you back - while your aspirations get buried in the busyness of daily life.
Can we break this cycle and find some space? Absolutely - the good news is that it’s really possible. You can create a space to reconnect with your heart and with others. You can learn new ways to recharge, reflect, and discover new insights and approaches.
At Clear Sky, we’ve supported many people’s passage through the spiritual breakthroughs and transformations they’ve yearned for. You can experience this too. After many years of running a retreat center, and after studying through ancient teachings, we’ve identified five core principles that are needed to create a powerful container.
The five principles to create a container of success:
1. Honor your space
Have you noticed how you feel when you enter an environment, like a Zen Garden, that’s beautiful, spacious, and well-cared for? There, it’s no accident that your mind naturally moves towards calm, curiosity and joy. Right there, in that ‘aah’ moment, you’re feeling the aliveness and focus of attention to detail.
2. Freedom arises from structure and routine
Consciously chosen structures and routines – counter-intuitive as it may sound – give you a tremendous amount of freedom. They also give you the space for creativity, and where you can form new, healthy habits. Without a healthy outer structure, you don’t have the container needed for sustained growth and breakthrough.
3. To do what you must do alone, it’s easier when you travel with others
That whole independence thing – it’s an illusion. Yes, the spiritual path is an inner journey, one that you must ultimately do alone. Yet, with others your container for practice becomes more loving, strong and rich. It connects you to a deeper joy and vibrancy that comes with learning together, gives you compassionate feedback, and when you need courage to meet your shadow, the shared vision and support of others helps get you through.
4. Cleaning up large areas of your life frees up energy
Each time you bring outer clarity to a major aspect of your life, you free up enormous amounts of energy. This energy is otherwise is locked up in anxiety, or leaking away through distraction. Need some examples? Cleaning up your blocks and views around money frees up energy. Learning to prioritize and manage your time well – including time for playfulness – frees up energy. Gaining clarity of why you are here – uncovering your unique life’s purpose – frees up energy.
5. Words are powerful and our conversations shape the space where we meet
What comes out of our mouths, or doesn’t, has a powerful effect on the space we share with others. Do we listen, for example, and create a safe space where others can speak from the heart? Or do we fill the space with unnecessary words? Do our words open up a space for inquiry and creative conversations, or do we close things down by defending a fixed view? With conscious and skillful speech – and by being aware of our effect on the space – we can co-create a loving, honest container where deep connections can happen.
Do any of these situations sound familiar to you?
- Your world has been turned upside down by the loss of a loved one, the end of a job, relationship or an unsettling upheaval of some kind. Scary or exciting, the fact is that now you have the time and energy to give your spiritual life some TLC.
- You’ve worked hard and experienced success in your life, maybe as a leader in a business or organization. Now, you’re actively looking for new ways to further grow yourself, business or your team’s portfolio.
- You’re wanting to make a difference in the world but you feel burnt out or overwhelmed. So you know it’s time to recharge and reflect on your next choices, in a space where you can bring conscious insightful reflection to the bigger issues.
- You yearn for a place in nature that’s neither too corporate – nor too touchy-feely – to hold your next event or retreat. This time, you and your team want somewhere to really get away from it all, re- connect and engage in meaningful strategic work or learning together.
- You love retreats and you leave shiny and positive. Yet at home you practice sporadically, if at all, and you’re getting disheartened. Now, you’re eager to learn ways to be more mindful more often, to bring spaciousness into your daily activities, relationships, and work.
- You have that niggling feeling that parts of your life remain untouched. You’re ready to be around friends or mentors who are also growing and actively supporting you to do the same; people with the courage to bring up the things that may be difficult to hear, because they really care.
If you find that one or more of these scenarios is speaking to you, moves you in some fashion, see if our approach could be a sanctuary for you. We’ve seen this approach work for these kinds of people & heart centred organisations that:
- Either practice meditation or mindfulness, wish they did, or want to bring that kind of consciousness into their organizations
- Have done retreats, personal or staff development workshops
- Are one or more of the following: students, travellers, leaders, trained in a skill, a professional, or a parent
- Are prone to burnout and stress
You’ll have the best chance of getting the most out of our approach if you resonate with one or more of these values
- Eager to fast track your (spiritual) growth, seeking depth transformation or transformative experiences
- Want to have fun and be of greater service to yourself and others
- Are looking for supportive, consistent and sustainable approaches to nourish your life, business or organization
If you find that this is calling you, we invite you to explore further and try a taste of what we do.
How would I describe my 5 day ‘silent’ retreat at Clear Sky? In a word: Healing. My days started off with a 7am group meditation with the retreat organizers. The group energy was both very grounding and vibrant – and I quickly felt a deep sense of connection and peace in their company. I ate in silence three meals a day – the delicious food made it easier (but not easy!) to bring my wandering mind back to the pleasure of the wholesome offering. Twice a day I participated in ‘Karma Yoga’ which essentially means doing some chores in silence (I loved stacking wood, and making kindling). This activity offered me the opportunity to maintain a sense of awareness while being in the world, and watching the thoughts and emotions that come up. These duties added structure to the day – though I did sleeping a lot for the first couple of days. What really made Clear Sky special for me was the authenticity of the community running the retreat centre. They are committed to their spiritual work while taking a light
Venue HighlightsClear Sky is a spiritual container that welcomes and supports spiritual groups devoted to personal and planetary awakening. We invite all traditions to come here to deepen their spiritual explorations.
What’s so good about Clear Sky as a space to do retreats?
- It carries the energy of a place dedicated to spiritual work
- We welcome diverse spiritual practices
- We can take online bookings and registrations for your retreat
- With fantastic food and a natural environment, you’ll feel nourished on all levels
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Includes Meat
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
Menu/CuisineMany folks are surprised that we serve meat every second day and that they will likely be asked to prepare and serve meat dishes during their stay. For this reason, we ask all participants to come with a mind of curiosity and non-clinging to preferences. For vegetarians and vegans, you can expect to be well fed, however there will be less options as we do cater mostly to omnivores. We are all encouraged to use our relationships with food for meditation and exploration. We source our food from our gardens, food forest, local suppliers, and eat organic as much as possible. Most people who visit rave about how nourishing the food is.
AccommodationsAccommodations are shared in our main facility, the Sanctuary. You will share with one, two or three others. Private accommodation is available in our eco-friendly cabins of which we have three.
Pick-ups – We can pick you up from the Canadian Rockies International Airport (Cranbrook, YXC), which has regular flights from Vancouver and Calgary. It is a 45-minute drive to Clear Sky from the airport.
You can rent a car at the local airport, or in nearby Cranbrook. Renting a vehicle in Calgary – Driving from Calgary may be cheaper than flying, depending on your length of stay and how many of you there are. It is a beautiful 4.5-hour drive. Contact us if you are coming for a program and would like to find rideshare partners.
Get driving directions from your location with google maps. Our address is 3567 Cockell Road, Fort Steele, BC, V0B 1N0.
Clear Sky is close to the US border, and about four hours from Calgary. We are ten minutes from the BC-93 S Highway and twenty minutes from Fort Steele, along the Wardner-Fort Steele Road.
Some navigation systems may not bring you to our driveway:
Coming from BC-93 S Highway on the Wardner-Fort Steele Road – look for Bull River Road on your right, about five minutes past the fish hatchery, which will be on your left.
Coming from Fort Steele – after about twenty minutes, look for power lines overhead, where the road will bend to the right. Bull River Road is right after this right bend, on your left. (If you see the fish hatchery on your right, you’ve gone too far).
Drive down Bull River Road for about three minutes, then turn left into Cockell Road. You’ll see our driveway on the left, at the end of Cockell Road.
Mar 15 - 24, 2019 (10 days)
Apr 6 - May 18, 2019 (43 days)
ReviewsWrite a review - tell others about your experience.
Irene Arriaza August 20, 2018
Clear Sky provides a peaceful and quite environment in the middle of nature. A great location for those who want to attend a retreat or just feel the need to get away to reflect or meditate.
Maryline Fortier May 31, 2018
Clear Sky Center is a real gem to learn about conscious community living. It is where I found through meaning and purpose, through the practice of Karma Yoga (meditation in action). A bunch of dedicated people, wanting to make the best out of this lifetime and helping each other to wake up to more love, awareness and mindfulness.