Slovenia Yoga Retreat with Andrea Marcum
Before July 2017, if you’d asked me to find Slovenia on a map, I wouldn’t know where to start. Then my mother, a devout corn-fed Iowan, sent me an article about Senator Harkin of Iowa’s homeland, Slovenia the same day I happened to be devouring an episode of Chef’s Table on Netflix featuring Hisa Franko… also in Slovenia.
Where was this place???
Flash forward to August. I’d not only managed to find Slovenia on the map, I was there living out my Chef’s Table fantasy and I knew INSTANTLY that I needed to do a retreat before the tourists cramming into Croatia discovered its neighbor is just as stunning, but without the crowds.
I’m inviting you to join me in Slovenia August 29, September 5, 2018 for a trip you'll never forget.
Andrea’s combination of a challenging class, and a great sense of humor are unique, intelligent, and always leave me feeling better when I leave than when I arrived. She is an amazing teacher and I love her class. — Heather Graham, actress
- Our Journey We’ll begin in the capitol, Ljubljana (say that 3 times fast) where downtown’s pedestrian-only district is punctuated by what the NY Times calls "Secessionist and Baroque buildings, connected by legend-laden bridges along the Ljubljanica River.” Full of cafes, rivers and parks, you’ll feel the influence of neighboring Italy as you wander up to the Castle perched on the hilltop, enjoy the vibrant marketplace and its fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers, delicacies and artisan treasures. Our days will be the perfect combination of yoga practice (appropriate for all experience levels), sightseeing and time to enjoy an espresso or glass of wine while paddle boarders and boats drift by.Then we’ll head out to the countryside where you’ll find yourself seduced by the vast green meadows, picturesque mountains and shockingly azure rivers of Slovenia. When I first saw them I was pretty sure I’d stumbled into heaven. With this stunning backdrop we will enjoy daily yoga, excursions to Postojna cave, Savica waterfall, Bled and Bohinj lakes. Not to mention lunch at Hisa Franko – home of “The World’s Top Female Chef.” Plus options for you to bike, hike, swim and raft should you feel so inclined during our stay.
Venue HighlightsJust S(OM) You Know
Slovenia was once part of Yugoslavia and has historically been at the crossroads of European cultures and trade routes. Formerly Socialist, it is now a parliamentary republic and joined NATO and the European Union in 2004. Its extraordinary past and unparalleled landscapes will inspire your creative spirit as it has writers, artists and artisans for centuries. I don’ think you’ve ever been anywhere quite like it. I know I haven’t.
We will use your yoga mat as a magic carpet to adventure inward and out into the world. Stretching yoga from our mats to our lives is what I call being Close to Om. I can’t wait to find our Om together in Slovenia.
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Tour Assistance
- Bicycles For Rent
ScheduleDaily yoga with Andrea. Cultural and outdoor adventures options to hike, bike, swim and even go rafting, enjoy a coffee, a glass of wine and take in the astounding beauty of Slovenia.
Menu/CuisineWe will be at two different hotels and will have a variety of options available for meals. We will be asking for your dietary preferences in our registration.
- Daily Yoga with Andrea
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Lunch at the famous Hisa Franko
- Expert Tour Guides from Slovenia Gateway
- Four-Star Hotels in Ljubljana and the Soca Valley
- Airport transfer from Ljubljana airport (arrival and departure) - transfer from other airports available at extra cost
- Accommodation with breakfast
- A comfortable air-conditioned bus with driver
- Porterage fees, road tolls, parking etc.
- 2 dinners and 1 lunch (welcome and farewell dinner + lunch at Hiša Franko)
- Drinks included at Hiša Franko lunch
- Tips for driver and restaurants
- Refillable glass water bottles
- A private, quiet indoor and outdoor yoga space in both Ljubljana and Bohinj
- All entrance fees during tours
- Tourist tax
- VAT (value added tax)
- Airfare is *not* included
DirectionsPlease contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all inquiries.