8 Day Silent Zen Meditation and Yin Yoga Retreat, Portugal
- Karuna Retreat Center - Portugal
- Monchique, Portugal
- Oct 7 - 14, 2018 (8 days)
- 700 euros
Join us at Karua Retreat Centre, Portugal for a 7 day Sesshin (Zen meditation retreat).
The first four and a half days will be spent in silence and the schedule will include zazen (seated meditation), Kinhin (walking meditation), Yin Yoga and dharma talks by our teacher Hamid.
Traditionally at the end of a silent retreat, the participants all leave with little time to discuss the thoughts and feelings that came up for them during the silence. However, at this retreat we will hold group discussions on the last two days of the retreat, during which time we can share and open up with regard to whatever it has been that we have processed during the meditation sessions.
And we can explore further different aspects of the teachings to offer a frame work to help you make better sense of your experience to take into your daily lives.
This is an opportunity to spend time away from distractions and dedicate yourself wholeheartedly to meditation. When the ripples of an over-active mind are calmed as you focus your attention on the present, the look you take at your life deepens.
Connecting your mind through Zen meditation will help you see the world and yourself with a greater sense of clarity.
It's been almost 2 weeks that we ended our intensive silent meditation retreat in Portugal, and I don't really have precise enough words to describe my feelings and my gratitude. Hamid and Jen succeeded to create a bubble of warm security and kindness. Hamid's accompaniment is exceptional; full of loving kindness and acceptance. I'm so grateful for the quality of this very intense experience. Hamid, thank you for being such a beautiful container, thank you for your teachings, your kindness, and your authenticity. Jen, thank you for your infinite care, your kindness, and your amazing organization! (Catherine)
- 7 Nights accommodation
- 3 Daily delicious healthy vegan/vegetarian meals
- Fruit and tea available between meal times
- 1 Daily Yin Yoga class
- 1 Daily dharma talk
- Intensive zen meditation schedule
- 4.5 Days of silence to fully immerse yourself in the experience
- Group discussions on the final 2 days to share and process our experience
- Beautiful location in the stunning mountains of Monchique, Portugal
Venue HighlightsA dedicated meditation retreat center located in the green mountains of Serra de Monchique in the Algarve.
Serra de Monchique is known for it’s healing thermal water, medicinal plants, pure air and lush green landscapes.
The retreat center offers a stunning view over Portugal's southern coast and the Atlantic Ocean and is just 20 minutes away from pristine beaches and less than 10 minutes away from the picturesque village of Monchique and Caldas de Monchique (Thermal SPA).
It is amongst one of the most secluded and silent places in this area and is home to a variety of local flora and fauna.
The property is isolated and perfect for those in search of silence, seclusion, and peace.
- Free Parking
- Yoga Studio
- Dairy Free
Menu/Cuisine3 delicous home cooked vegeterian/vegan meals per day lovingly prepared by the retreat centre owner with produce from the gardens and local area.
Tea and fruit is available between meal times.
AccommodationsSingle sex shared dormitory
Participants will stay in single sex, shared dormitories of 3 - 5 people.
Toilet and shower facilities are shared between 3 people.
Bedding is provided but participants will need to bring their own towels and toileteries.
Single rooms may be available on request for an additional fee.
DirectionsHOW TO GET TO THE RETREAT CENTRE
Fly to Faro Airport (FAO) (only 1h15min from the retreat center by car).
There are two ways to get to the center from Faro Airport.
1. Take a shuttle bus to the town of Portimão (this bus leaves every 30 minutes or so and costs about €12 and takes about 30-45 minutes). From Portimão you can take a 40-minute bus to the town of Monchique.
Once in Monchique, you'll need to take a cab to Karuna - this will cost you about €10.
2. Take a cab from Faro Airport to the center directly. This will cost you between €80-100. There are many cab services at the airport but you'll need to provide them the GPS coordinates (GPS location: 37.301188, -8.520400).
3. Book a taxi pick up from a taxi driver who already knows the way. We recommend Alfredo and his number is +351 910211700 (he speaks a little bit of English, you just need to speak to him slowly and clearly).
He charges €85 for this trip. If you use WhatsApp and tell him all your flight details and name he'll be waiting for you at the airport with a sign.
We have created a facebook group for participants to share their travel plans to make getting from the airport to the accommodation easier and to allow participants to share taxi costs.