Reconnect – Body & Mind Balancing - Weight Loss, Yoga and Digestive Health Women Only
- Vishovgrad, Bulgaria
- Jun 16 - 23, 2018 (8 days)
- 940€ per person sharing, 1,320€ private room single occupancy
Join us on a journey to find balance of body and mind through nutrition, exercise, meditation and mindfulness. Ideal for those wishing to lose weight, reduce the risk of degenerative disease and improve digestive health.
A second Mixed-sex event will be held 2st-28th July
visit us for details www.makrobia.com
Recent research has concluded that the Central Nervous System (brain and spinal cord) and the gut are connected by the pathways including the immune, neural and endocrine systems. The ENS or Enteric Nervous System is a dual layer of more than 100 million nerve cells which line the whole of the gastrointestinal tract from oesophagus to rectum. It controls digestion from the swallowing mechanism to production of enzymes as well as control of blood flow and elimination.
Working closely with the ENS is the gut microbiota, part of the microbiome which is distributed throughout the body. This is a collection of trillions of bacteria that collectively can weigh up to 2kg! These bacteria are largely beneficial and we cannot survive without them. It is now well know that exogenous factors such as diet and stress can have detrimental effects on these bacteria. This is known as dysbiosis.
Research indicates that dysbiosis could be at the root of many non-communicable diseases and inflammation as well as obesity, GI disorders and even depression and other neuropsychiatric disorders.
At Makrobia we are exploring those connections and this week is aimed at restoring balance of the gut and the mind in the following ways:
- eliminating highly processed foods
- drastically reducing free-sugar intake and reducing salt intake
- ensuring an adequate intake of protein whether animal or plant based
- ·reducing intake of saturated fats and eliminating added trans-fats.
- ·optimising intake of NSP dietary fibre (Non-Starch Polysaccharides)
- ·choosing foods with a high level of omega 3/6 ratio oils
- ·choosing other foods such as seeds and nuts with beneficial oils
- ·choosing probiotic foods such as fermented and cultured foods/drinks which will re-populate the GI tract
- ·increasing intake of herbs, leafy vegetables with beneficial plant phenols and sterols
- ·increasing intake of vegetables and fruits across the colour spectrum
- ·choosing prebiotic foods which support the gut flora once re-stablished
- ·daily meditation and yoga to build strength and relieve stress
- ·daily light exercise in nature to build strength and restore vitality.
· Transfers from Sofia other Bulgarian airports but these can be arranged at lower than local prices.
We are a Thai Buddhist household but welcome all opinions and religions. We do ask that you do not wear shoes in the living spaces. We drink alcohol in moderation but we ask you not to smoke on the property.
I had the most special stay at Makrobia with Marc and Beau in their beautiful grounds in the the Bulgarian countryside. They made me feel so welcome as a solo guest and made sure I had a relaxing and fulfilling holiday. The food was incredible, they talked me through everything they grow and produce on their land and found out what I liked so they could cook every meal suited to me. I felt that I had the perfect balance of my own time to enjoy my experience whilst they also went very out of their way to take me to all the places I wanted to see and provide such welcome company in the long summer evenings over great food and wine. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a hidden gem getaway to reconnect with their health and wellbeing.
- Makrobia Life
- ·Stylish en-suite accommodation, memory foam beds, hypoallergenic bedding
- ·Individual nutritional consults for each guest to ascertain their optimal diet to encourage a healthy gut microbiota
- ·Re-balancing of the gut microbiome through diet, exercise and reduction of psychosocial stress
- Makrobia Food
- ·Highly nutritious breakfasts with low GI foods such as buckwheat and low fruit juices from our Samson macerating juicer using vegetables, leaves and fruit from our garden
- ·Excellent, mostly organic, meals according to your preference – vegetarian, vegan, omnivorous.
- ·Organic wine with your evening meal (if required)
- Makrobia Spirit
- ·Daily led meditation in our gardens or large meditation room
- ·A supportive group environment (option of female only or mixed events)
- ·A quiet and peaceful environment in which to relax and reconnect far from busy roads and industry
- ·Daily interaction with nature through walks/hikes and visits to waterfalls and other places of beauty
- ·Two day trips
- ·Daily yoga practice led by a local instructor – beginners’ and intermediate sessions
- ·Optional massage therapy
Venue HighlightsRural location but easily accessible by plane, train or car
Amazing Bulgarian summers
Yoga and Meditation
Great Thai food from a Thai chef
Mediterranean food from Marc
Health through good nutriton
Organically grown food from gardens
Tranquil location and amazing scenery
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Tour Assistance
ScheduleWe try and keep our schedules as flexible as possible as we believe that overscheduling causes stress.
However, roughly speaking
free time, exploring, shopping at local market
free time, exploring, cooking lessons, meditation
free time - conversation, walking, enjoying life
- Includes Meat
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
Menu/CuisineWhether you come for a weekend or a week or more you will find great food made with fresh ingredients and simply cooked. Our aim is to cook tasty food that is also healthy and as free of additives and chemicals as possible. That said we still enjoy good wine, artisan beers and excellent bean to cup coffee!
because we are what we eat!
Marc & Beau have a rich and varied culinary background. They have cooked professionally in a wide variety of restaurants – between them they have more than sixty years of experience!
Beau’s speciality is, of course, Thai – one of the healthiest of cuisines but she also loves to cook good simple British food and makes an excellent apple crumble with a Thai twist
Before you arrive we will send you a detailed food questionnaire. This will help us to ensure that as far as possible we serve the sort of food you enjoy and avoid any allergens or foods which disagree with you. It goes without saying that vegetarians and vegans will be catered for sympathetically and creatively. Guests with wheat/gluten/dairy intolerances will find solace in Thai food which is naturally very low in these allergens.
AccommodationsThree ensuite double rooms in our barn conversion with large shared living room area and terrace opening onto gardens
All rooms decorated with low VOC finishes - largely untreated wood with beeswax.
Two rooms with wooden floors and one with a lime clay composite floor
One double room with private bathroom in main houise. Total max 8 adults.
King size double beds or single beds available
All towels provided and basic toiletries
Log burner in living room
Rooms are naturally cool in summer due to massive stone construction and insulation.
Our excellent Makrobia breakfast is included in all options.
DirectionsEASY JET offer flights from Manchester, Stansted and Gatwick to Sofia and from Gatwick to Varna on the Black Sea Coast.
RYAN AIR offer flights from Stansted to Plovdiv and Sofia and from Liverpool, Glasgow and Birmingham to Sofia.
WIZZ offer flights from Luton to Varna, from Luton, Bristol, Doncaster and Birmingham to Sofia, and from Luton to Burgas.
JET2 offer flights from Manchester to Sofia.
BULGARIA is surprisingly cheap and quick to get to from the UK - from around £50 return if you book flights in advance and avoid school holidays! Flights are around 3.5hrs and Sofia airport is small and very quick to negotiate.
VISHOVGRAD is located a 35 minute drive from Veliko Tarnovo, the ancient capital of Bulgaria. It is fairly central being almost equidistant by road from Sofia (2.5hrs ), Plovdiv (3.3hrs) Varna (3.3hrs) and Burgas airports (3.25hrs).
CAR HIRE is very reasonable in Bulgaria. We have only used Top Rent A Car who offered reasonable prices and courteous service. They have a pick up service at Sofia, Burgas and Varna airport. When we used them an English speaking rep was waiting at the arrival gates and we had the car within 10 minutes. Bulgarian roads are uncongested compared to the UK but in rural areas can be quite rough.
TAXIS are available at the airports and they will drive you all the way to Vishovgrad for comparatively little money but it is essential that you agree the price before you leave. .
AN AIRPORT TRANSFER SERVICE is available but of limited availability. Our village neighbour Paul, who also offers a taxi service to local attractions, can collect you from any airport at a fixed price depending on which airport 80 - 100 euros for up to 4 people. Paul is from Oxford area originally - so no language barrier! Contact us for details.
ReviewsWrite a review - tell others about your experience.