Sharpham House: Mindfulness through Singing Retreat-(3 nights)
- The Sharpham Trust
- Sharpham House Sharpham Estate Ashprington Totnes Devon TQ9 7UT
- Oct 16 - 19, 2018 (4 days)
- Sharpham House - Standard Single - £325.00 Sharpham House - Premium Single - £365.00 Sharpham House - Heritage Single - £395.00 Claire Milne - Accessible single room - £325.00
This retreat offers the opportunity to:
- Learn some new songs in a supportive and accessible way – all songs taught by ear.
- Experience singing in harmony as meditation.
- Explore your own voice as a means of self-expression and communication.
- Sing in unique locations around the Sharpham estate, including songs on the theme of water and rivers on the banks of the river Dart, as well as songs about nature in the stunning gardens and woodland surrounding Sharpham House
- Attune to the rhythm of the breath and experience the intimacy of your own belonging.
- Use breath, sound and song to explore the meeting of mind, body and sprit.
- Develop mindful awareness of your relationship to your voice and singing.
- Experience singing as a resource for well-being.
This retreat is for you if you are:
- New to mindfulness practice and to singing or if you are looking to explore, deepend and reconnect with singing or mindfulness in a new way
- Interested in singing beautiful songs in beautiful surroundings
- Like singing and would like to explore your voice in a supportive gentle environment
- Interested in what it is like to truly be with yourself when you are singing
- Wanting to sing in harmony in the company of others
Venue HighlightsThe Sharpham Estate runs alongside a three-mile stretch of the River Dart in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, in a tranquil setting surrounded by nature.
All heating and hot water systems in Sharpham House are run on an environmentally-friendly biomass woodchip boiler whilst The Barn's is run from a log furnace and solar thermal panels.
Participants have access to the formal and walled gardens surrounding Sharpham House as well as the unheated open air swimming pool (available only in summer months).
We also have two large photovoltaic solar panel arrays on the Estate and use biodegradable cleaning products wherever possible.
Mobile phone signal and our wifi internet is poor - which we see as a virtue - and we encourage participants to switch off from 'the network' whilst here, to help you and everyone else disengage from daily life and live fully in the simplicity and quietude of a country retreat.
- Free Parking
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
Menu/CuisineAt Sharpham House and Woodland, all of our meals are home-cooked, seasonal and vegetarian (and we earn a lot of praise for our food!). In line with sustainable practices across the Estate, we source food whenever possible from our Walled Garden (which is run on organic practices) and we support local food suppliers.
At The Barn, we supply as much food as possible from our organic gardens. The rest comes from organic farms and a trading collective.
AccommodationsSharpham House has 24 bedrooms, ranging from the modest and cosy to historic and grand. All are made to be as comfortable as possible for you, including facilities to make hot drinks (you’ll also have access to 24-hour tea and coffee-making in the Toasting Room on the ground floor).
There is an accessible bedroom on the ground floor at Sharpham House, and a lift connecting all floors, although the limitations of an 18th century building mean we can't offer full accessibility. Do get in touch to discuss your needs.
Only some of the rooms are en-suite, and there are shared bathrooms on each floor.
There are no locks on the bedroom doors as every effort is made to keep the atmosphere of an informal family home. Please speak to the House Manager about keeping your valuables safe. Towels and bedding are supplied and a hairdryer and iron are available upon request.
Accommodation at The Barn is in single, comfortable rooms in a friendly atmosphere of fellowship. Barn rooms are randomly allocated, unless you have medical needs relating to your room allocation. There are shared bathrooms at The Barn.
Accommodation at the Woodland is in comfortable and spacious bell tents, which includes a single foam mattress, warm 13.5 tog duvet and bedding, a box for muddy shoes, a simple table and a solar light. There is no electricity at the tents, only at the main camp kitchen and the shower block. There is a shower and toilet block at the campsite featuring four hot showers and three flushing loos. There is a covered fire hearth area for wet weather and a yurt.
The Kuti is a small, rustic cabin in woodland near The Barn retreat centre. The Kuti has no electricity or running water, though there is water nearby and torches provided. There is a wood burner in The Kuti for heat, which you will be responsible for lighting, if required. Clean bedding and wood are provided.
DirectionsFind us on Google Maps here
You can read, download or print a map & directions here and/or walking/cycling directions here, or directions are here on our website