SUBMISSIONS Seeing God: 2019 Juried Exhibit of Sacred Art
- Benedictine Center
- St. Paul's Monastery 2675 Benet Road St. Paul, MN 55109
- Jan 16, 2019 (1 day)
- $20.00 - Non-refundable Submission Fee
Sacred art contributes to keeping us mindful of God’s abiding presence. This exhibit features contemporary artists who work in that spirit.* The exhibit is open 9a-6p daily from Jan. 30 thru Mar. 8, 2019.
- To encourage artists in their gifts to interpret and give form to God’s revelation in human life, nature, and the cosmos.
- To demonstrate how the arts can expand one’s capacity to encounter God.
Call for Artists
The Art and Spirituality Team of St. Paul’s Monastery invites all artists to submit sacred art for the 2019 Seeing God Juried Exhibit. Entry Rules and an Entry Form are below. We seek works of art that:
(1) are rooted in themes drawn from religious traditions, Scripture, nature, the human journey, and/or an interpretation of the mystery of life.
(2) show how art reveals a deeper sense of wonder.
(3) are appropriate for the environment that greets the Sisters and guests daily.
2019 Key Dates
1/16/19 Submissions Due
1/23/19 Acceptance Notification
1/26/19 Deliver Art Work (10a-2p)
1/30/19 Opening Reception (7-8:30p)
3/8/19 Exhibit Closes
3/9/19 Pick-up Art Work (10a-2p)
Please address questions to Artist/Coordinator Kathy Fleming at 612.839.4439
Seeing God: A Juried Exhibit of Sacred Art at St. Paul’s Monastery Gallery
General Information and Conditions
Over the centuries, Benedictines have encouraged women and men who use color, form, sound, and word to express the beauty one experiences in the encounter with God’s own creativity. Their work contributes to keeping us mindful of God’s abiding presence. The Seeing God juried exhibit features contemporary artists who work in that spirit.* Participation is open to all regional artists 18 and older able to hand-deliver and retrieve their work, subject to the conditions and rules outlined below. All entries will be juried, and only those works accepted by the jurors will be exhibited from Jan. 30 through Mar. 1, 2019.
AWARDS: Awards totaling $375 will be distributed as follows: First prize $150, Second $125, Third $100. Awards will be announced at the reception on Jan. 30.
JURORS: The jury will consist of two to three individuals recognized for their experience in sacred art. From the submissions, the Jurors will select those that will be accepted into the show. Work will then be judged by how well it artistically expresses the artist’s statement and demonstrates skill in the artist’s chosen medium.
ELIGIBILITY: Eligible pieces include original works executed in the last three years and not exhibited with this show previously. Works of students are eligible only if created without the help of an instructor.
NUMBER OF WORKS: Each artist may submit one work. Suites and groups of works are not eligible.
SIZE: Works exceeding six feet in any direction (including frame) are not eligible.
ENTRY FEE: $20 due with application by Jan. 16, non-refundable.
LIABILITY AND INSURANCE: Insurance will not be provided. Every precaution will be taken, but the host will not be responsible for loss of or damage to entries, including frames and mounting. Artists who feel the need are advised to insure their own work privately.
DELIVERY: All accepted entries must be delivered in person to St. Paul’s Monastery on Jan. 26 (10a-2p). The Monastery is located at 2675 Benet Road, St. Paul, MN 55109.
SALES: Contact information for persons interested in purchase will be forwarded to the artist. All accepted entries will remain on exhibit for the duration of the exhibit. Contributions to the Monastery are at the discretion of the artist.
PUBLICITY: The Seeing God exhibit reserves the right to photograph any work in the exhibition for educational or publicity purposes (including both online and print).
- Hanging work must be ready to hang with a wire affixed to the back.
- Delicately constructed work requiring more than normal careful handling will not be accepted.
- All works on paper, including photography, must be framed and covered with glass or Plexiglas.
- All other works must be appropriately framed.
- Textile/Fibers: Handmade and/or hand-decorated are eligible. Identification tags should be securely attached with pins.
- Small three dimensional works with a base no larger than 12″ x 12″ are eligible. Stands will be provided.
- All applications are to be submitted by Jan. 16.
- Submit Entry Form online, then email a digital image of the piece to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artists may choose to mail a check for the entry fee.
- All artists will be notified of acceptance/declination by Jan. 23.
- Deliver accepted pieces to St. Paul’s Monastery on Sat., Jan. 26 (10a-2p). An identification tag will be attached to the piece.
- All accepted pieces will remain on display through Mar. 8 and will be picked up Mar. 9 (10a-2p).
Participating and non-exhibiting artists and their friends are cordially invited to attend a public opening at the Gallery of St. Paul’s Monastery on Jan. 30, 7-8:30p. Awards will be announced and refreshments will be served.
* The Benedictine Center of St. Paul’s Monastery is continuing the pioneering work of Nick and Rosemary Heille, who founded and led The Northeast Minneapolis Spiritual Art Show for eleven years.