- New Life Foundation
- 49 Moo 1, Don Sila, Wiang Chai , Chiang Rai, Thailand, 57210
- Mar 25 - 29, 2019 (5 days)
- 10,000 Thai Baht plus Dana (a donation for the Teacher)
- Learning to stay with the uncomfortable – Right Now It’s Like This !?
- Develop an appreciation of the liberating distinction between ‘abstinence’ and ‘abandonment’.
- An introduction to and/or deepening of one’s own mindfulness meditation practice as a basic attitude in everyday life.
- A basic understanding of the Buddhist principles and practices of mindfulness-based harm reduction, relapse prevention and waking-up from ‘addictions’ and compulsions.
- An understanding and appreciation of the difference between ‘abstinence’ and ‘abandonment’ of addictions, compulsions and harmful behaviour (i.e. the Training Precepts compared to the commitment of a Sajja [Vow]).
- The opportunity to take part in and/or lead Buddhist-oriented ‘Sit-and-Share‘ peer-led support meetings.
- The optional opportunity to make a Sajja [intention/aspiration/commitment/vow] as an outward manifestation of the Heart’s desire to move away from suffering towards the end of suffering.
Schedule06:00 * Wake-up bell
06:25 * Qigong, Reading & Meditation
07:30 Breakfast (mindfully in silence)
09:00 * Teaching & Practice
14:00 * Teaching & Practice
17:00 Free time - Swimming Pool - Steam Bath etc
19:30 * Sit-and-Share
21:00 Noble silence until 8:30 am next day.
About This Event
From Hungry Ghost to Being Human …Without Going Through Hell
In short, the retreat is about creating and maintaining (Bhāvanā and Sati) an embodied intentionality (Karma) of harmlessness (Sila) through self-love (Metta), self-forgiveness (Khama) and self-direction (Sajja).
‘Being Human’ is an intensive 5-day residential retreat exploring ‘Buddhist’ principles and practices that cultivate a more personally contented experience of everyday living.
‘Being Human’ is an encouragement to lift the veil and break the spell of universal cravings, aversions and confusions that so often manifest as addictions, compulsions; and harmful thinking and behaviours.
This is not a silent retreat but there will be periods of quietude including one complete day of silence.
Each retreat will comprise a daily routine of sitting and walking meditation, Dhamma talks and optional interviews.
Each day will start with mindful movement, then a morning reading followed by a 30-minute period of silent meditation. Throughout each day there will be talks and discussions; and most importantly plenty of opportunity to practise sitting, walking and standing meditation. The essential practices of Loving Kindness and Forgiveness will be central to each day’s practice.
Each retreatant will be given a personal set of Tibetan Prayer Flags. On one side of each flag is decorated with woodblock prints of auspicious mantras, syllables and prayers – the other side is blank.
Throughout the 5-days, as we progress through our retreat, we are invited to write the names – starting with our own name – of all the many people that we want to send the blessings of loving-kindness, compassion, joy, equanimity and forgiveness to on our personal prayer-flags.
We may also write our own personal aspirations, prayers and wishes creatively using words or images or symbols.
We may also write the names – starting with our own name – of the people from whom we might want to ask for forgiveness.
And lastly, we may write the names – starting with our own name – of all of the people that we may wish to forgive.
PLEASE NOTE: Vince Cullen does not get paid to teach this retreat, therefore, you are invited and encouraged to bring along a donation (Dana) in recognition of the teaching.
Image (c) Maroussia Mbaye Photography
Venue HighlightsNew Life Foundation is a nonprofit therapeutic and practice centre in northern Thailand. We offer a supportive learning space for individuals looking for help with stress, burnout, anxiety, depression, trauma, or addiction. In addition to core daily practices of mindfulness, meditation, and yoga, our program offers one-on-one counselling and group workshops based on various modalities, including cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), trauma release exercises (TRE), Enneagram, mindfulness-based relapse prevention (MBRP), mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT), non-violent communication (NVC), art and dance therapy, and more.
AccommodationsNew Life Foundation is nestled amongst the mountains, lakes, and rice fields of northern Thailand. We have modern facilities and more than 67 acres of land: a lake, a forest full of teak trees, rice fields, and orchards.
There are more than 50 clean and comfortable ensuite rooms. The rooms have a ceiling fan, bed, wardrobe, desk, and private bathroom with warm shower. A limited number of rooms with air-conditioning are available at extra cost. The foundation is only 30 minutes away from Chiang Rai airport and bus station.
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Fitness Center
- Yoga Studio
DirectionsJust print this instruction letter (PDF, DOC) and you should be able to find your way to our place from Chiang Rai. Includes address in Thai for the taxi driver. Our office is open Monday–Friday, 09.00 – 11.30 and 13.30 – 16.30 (Thailand UTC +07:00)
(contact info blocked)