Diving Deep with Dr. Dennis McKenna, Ph.D. | Airport Transportation Included
- Soltara Healing Center
- Playa Blanca, Paquera, Costa Rica
- Jul 15 - 22, 2018 (8 days)
- Dorm-Style Shared Suite (Gender Neutral | Full Size Bunk Beds) - $2,303.00 Dorm-Style Shared Suite (Female[-Identifying] Only | Full Size Bunk Beds) - $2,303.00 Private Couples Suite (King Bed | *Price for 2*) - $5,236.00…
Dennis McKenna’s prolific career in ethnopharmacology, botany, and psychedelic science spans a wide variety of disciplines, avenues, and countries. He has given numerous lectures on topics ranging from plant medicines, to consciousness, to spirituality, to pharmacology, and has authored or co-authored over 50 peer-reviewed scientific papers and written books, including “The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss: My Life with Terence McKenna”, and “The Invisible Landscape” with his brother Terence. He has also organized conferences, served as principle investigator for various research projects related to ayahuasca and other plant medicines, served as professor of Botanical Medicines and Ethnopharmacology, and conducted extensive fieldwork in the Peruvian, Colombian, and Brazilian Amazon. You can read his full bio here.
Dr. McKenna’s advisory role to Soltara and extensive knowledge of psychedelics and plant medicines has informed our mission of spreading high quality information about these healing modalities. As such, we are excited and honored to be hosting Dr. McKenna for a special week of integrative medicine work, July 15 – 22, 2018. Offering a series of lectures and workshops as adjuncts to ayahuasca ceremony, Dr. McKenna will weave his scientific and cultural understanding of ayahuasca, psychedelics, consciousness, science, and spirituality throughout the week, providing an opportunity for participants to dive deeply into the world of holistic healing, from both an objective and experiential perspective.
Guests will embark on a journey of self- and world-discovery, as Dr. McKenna takes us through topics such as:
- Climbing the Vine: 45 Years of Ayahuasca: Ayahuasca has been the focus of my professional research in Ethnopharmacology since I first came to Peru in 1981 to conduct fieldwork for my doctoral thesis at the University of British Columbia. Since then it has become integrated into my own spiritual practice while continuing to remain important to me as a subject for scientific investigation. I can honestly say that my most interesting travels and personal adventures as a scientist and human being have been due to ayahuasca. In this workshop, I will share some of these personal reminiscences plus a brief overview of some of the science behind this mysterious medicine.
- Origins of the Imagination: Speculations on the Antiquity of Consciousness: No one knows for sure when consciousness first emerged in our species but we can speculate about the environmental and evolutionary forces that contributed to it. One major factor was the controlled use of fire, which stimulated the migration from arboreal to savannah environments, and vastly expanded nutritional options, contributing to omnivory. Fire also provided the fundamental tools needed for pharmacology and chemistry. Migration into savannah environments would also have brought ancient hominids into contact with Psilocybin mushrooms that co-existed in this environment as symbionts on ungulate species that were also major food sources for the hominids. Accidental or deliberate ingestion of these species may have been a catalyst for the emergence of cognition, symbolic thought, and language. The fossil record is incomplete, but we find evidence of human consciousness in the artifacts that show evidence of abstract thinking and internal visualization.
- What is not Patented is Prohibited: The Exploitation, Ownership, and Criminalization of Nature: Indigenous people have accumulated an intricate and deeply-rooted knowledge of their biological environment. Historically, outside nations have come in and utilized this knowledge and plants for their own purposes, benefiting greatly from them but with little to no reciprocity for the indigenous stewards of such knowledge. As a result, there is a current cultural clash between modern nations and those who have maintained the ecological habitats and knowledge of these plants. This talk discusses the history, current issues and concerns surrounding indigenous knowledge, intellectual property rights, and “biopiracy” – the theft of indigenous knowledge and genetic resources.
Join us July 15 – 22, 2018 for a week of integrative medicine work and deep spiritual healing, combining the time-honored practices of traditional Shipibo shamanism with an in-depth look at some of the most fascinating topics facing humanity today.
With the myriad of information out there, it can be difficult to determine where and how to start. Our goal at Soltara is to flip the script, bringing the expertise to you in an accessible, informed way, grounded in the spirit of cultural awareness and tradition.
Your stay at Soltara includes:
- Airport transportation (arrive & depart – see date and time details)
- 4 ayahuasca ceremonies with highly-experienced Peruvian female & male Shipibo shamans
- Multiple in-depth lectures/workshops led by Dr. McKenna
- All meals in our conscious cuisine kitchen, prepared fresh daily from organic, pesticide-free, local sources in an ayahuasca-friendly manner
- Floral baths on ceremony days, with medicinal plants lovingly prepared by our shamans
- Yoga classes for all levels throughout your stay
- Pranayama (breathwork) and meditation sessions
- Multiple excursions throughout your stay in one of the most abundant & biodiverse regions on the planet
- One-on-one consultations with our shamans (and translator)
- On-site integration workshops and sharing circles with our shamans and facilitators
- Access to our creative space for music, art, writing, and dance
- Access to a semi-private beach and equipment for paddle-boarding, kayaking, tubing, and snorkeling in the pristine Pacific ocean
- High-speed WiFi in all rooms (although we encourage all guests to disconnect as much as possible!)
- Air-conditioning in all rooms
- Lifetime 10% discount for all return visits
- Participation in our premiere integration program and community with a highly qualified integration support team
- Optional add-ons including:
- Professional massages (included in single and private couples lodging; additional cost for dorm-style lodging)
- Holistic life coaching sessions (included in single and private couples lodging; additional cost for dorm-style lodging)
Our week-long program is designed for your optimal ease and comfort, so you can free your mind to focus fully on yourself and your experience.
We look forward to having you with us!
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Tour Assistance
- Fitness Center
- Yoga Studio
- Includes Meat
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free