- Maui Eco Retreat Center
- Maui, Hawaii, USA
- Jul 25 - Aug 1, 2018 (8 days)
A RECOVERY PROGRAM FOR TECH ADDICTED TEENS
This program is offered to help address a massive crisis among teens today: addiction to social media and online games. Kids all over the United States and around the world are showing up to school desperately short on sleep, and a lack of social connection to the world. It’s an epidemic that has grown very fast, and MERC is working to help teens regain control over their lives.
OFF SCREEN offers a 7 or 21-day retreat program starting July 25th, 2018. The program is for ages 13-17. It is held in Maui, HI. Shared accommodation varies from a villa setting to a beach site gated estate. Your child will share accommodations with participants of the same gender, according to their age. Participants will eat a hearty and delicious menu (special diets possible) mostly from the local organic farms. Gray Line Hawaii provides transportation.
The program is designed to put teens on the road back to a healthier and balanced life after addiction to social media or video games, and to give them the tools to make wiser choices going forward.
We believe in creating awareness, connecting with others and the world. Fresh air, the jungle, and the ocean, combined with challenging, healthy and fun outdoor activities with other teens set the context for enlightening conversations with caring professionals.
Over the course of the program, we help participants develop a new perspective and skill set to manage their devices and activities better.
“The Maui Eco Retreat Center is a meeting place for social change makers, geo designers, and dream weavers to build a better world together." Mahalo!
- Reconnect with nature and the world around you.
- Reconnect with sleep. Learn to sleep at night and be awake during the day.
- Experience somatosensory stimulation (sound therapy) to lower anxiety and withdrawal.
- Break social isolation and relearn interaction, interdependence, and the pleasure of company.
- Build sound defenses against cyber-bullying by retaking the perspective of your person and your reputation.
- Reconnect with food and discover the fun and power of picking up your own ingredients, cooking and healthy eating.
- OFF SCREEN features daily scheduled activities for all participants. These consist of group interactive experiences and conversations to grow a deeper understanding of online media, their own user behaviors, the choices they make, and the consequences they bring.
Venue HighlightsFor any season you visit Maui, the land of Gaia, we offer diverse eco retreat options that will enrich your spiritual awareness and reawaken your senses. Start with a tour of our edible gardens.
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Tour Assistance
- Hot Tub
- Yoga Studio
ScheduleWe have 8 unique sessions for connecting within and the world during the week. Please contact for the schedule. And plenty of time for fun and age-appropriate activities as below...
During open time slots, teens can enjoy many activities from a list of options (all events may not be available for every course period).
Sunrise and sunset hikes, beach, waterfall, volcanic and bamboo forest outings
Townfield trips, shopping, and shaved ice with local teens and have fun
Surfing, body boarding, snorkeling, kayaking and stand up paddle-boarding
Cooking and local art, hunger games and Outdoor Movie Night
Discover organic farms and gardens and swim in the sacred pools
Ashtanga, Hatha, and Aerial yoga, meditation, creative flow time
Zip-line, Whale watching, drum circle, community event preparation
- Gluten Free
Menu/CuisineParticipants will eat a hearty and delicious menu (special diets possible) mostly from the local organic farms.
AccommodationsThere are lush eatable gardens with a variety of fruit trees, hot tub, pool, laundry area, hammock, tree house, outdoor seating areas, views of the sea and mountains.
Your child will share accommodations with participants of the same gender, according to their age, in a gated estate setting.