Permaculture Design Certification Course
- Rancho Mastatal
- 100 metros del Centro de Acopio, Mastatal, Puriscal, San Jose, COSTA RICA
- Apr 14 - 28, 2019 (15 days)
- $850 to $1,500, four partial scholarships available for qualified Central Americans
Join our diverse team of permaculture instructors led by Scott Gallant for this annual life-changing 2-week experience. The course covers the core Permaculture Design curriculum and emphasizes creating diverse multi-functional human landscapes based on ecological patterns. Utilizing Rancho Mastatal as a living classroom, the class will mix lectures and hands-on work, exploring design solutions for both temperate and tropical regions. Putting Permaculture into practice, the course concludes with students working in teams to create their own permaculture site design. This course is applicable to anyone with an interest in designing resilient and regenerative futures as well as professionals in the fields of architecture, planning, ecology, education, farming and community development. The whole-systems design thinking outlined in the course will give participants the tools to re-design and improve their surroundings; from gardens, farms and homes, to livelihoods, relationships and communities.
To learn about who this course is designed for, learning outcomes, what to bring, and much more, please read our PDC Course Information Book at https://static1.squarespace.com/static/562a70d4e4b02dc3c968a4c4/t/57e56619e6f2e1245f3c4250/1474651674144/PDC+Course+Information+Book.pdf.
The course will be taught in English and simultaneously translated into Spanish. Este curso será traducido simultáneamente al español . Se requiere un mínimo de dos hispano hablantes para ofrecer servicios de traducción.
For more information about food and lodging please see our website at http://ranchomastatal.com/accommodations/.
Please see http://ranchomastatal.com/payment-information/.
To enroll in the class, please go to http://ranchomastatal.com/registration-form. For more information please contact Tim O’Hara at email@example.com and/or call the Ranch at 2200-0920 or WhatsApp at +506 8539-1404.
This place is beyond incredible. Such a tight knit group of people doing such amazing things. Rancho Mastatal is nestled deep in the Jungle of Costa Rica, I ended up there with a group of Wilderness EMT students and has no idea what to expect but within the three weeks I spent there is quickly became a second home for me. ~ Clara Murray
- History of Permaculture
- Principles and Ethics of Permaculture Design
- Design Methodologies and Site Analysis & Assessment
- Pattern Languages in Culture and the Landscape
- Reading the Landscape and Pattern Recogintion
- Simple Mapping and Surveying Techniques
- Client Interviews and Goal Setting
- Map Reading
- Master Planning and Design Presentations
- Climate and Microclimate Design
- Water: Cycles, Catchment, Ecology, Conservation, Treatment
- Greywater and Blackwater Systems
- Earthworks, Pond Construction, & Water Storage
- Soils: Biology, Ecology, Fertility Strategies
- Biochar, Biofertilizers, Mulching, Biomass Production, Microorganisms Cultivation, Compost Making
- Introduction to Keyline Design and Holistic Management
- Gardening from the Tropics to the Temperate Regions
- Orchards Management and Agroforestry
- Plant Propagation, Grafting, Nursery Management
- Silvopastural and Aquaculture Systems
- Fermentation, Post Harvest Handling, and Harvest Strategies
- Shelter and Siting
- Natural Building Techniques
- Urban and Suburban Permaculture Applications and Case Studies
- Energy and Appropriate Technology: Photovoltaics, Biodigestor Design, Alternative Cooking Models
- Regenerative Economic Models
- Social Structures, Decision Making, and Community Organizing
- Professional Designer Project Case Studies
Venue HighlightsSwimming in the many waterfalls and rivers within walking distance
Getting involved with the local community at the futbol field, library, or soda.
Taking a tour of one of the other eco-tourism projects in town.
Becoming friends with the hard-working Ranch core team and apprentice team.
Visiting our neighbors at Parque Nacional La Cangreja.
Learning about our sustainability practices during a Day Workshop.
Devouring local chocolate treats from La Iguana Chocolate.
Exploring the 14 kilometers of trails throughout our Private Wildlife Refuge.
Touring the Ranch's extensive campus and permaculture farm and systems.
Feasting on the buffet style meals cooked with care.
Resting in a hammock with one of the thousands of books from our library.
Taking a morning stroll on the quite streets to bird-watch.
Getting involved in a dinner time clean up dance party.
Learning about medicinal plants from leaders of the nearby indigenous reserve of Zapaton.
Helping to harvest ingredients for the days meals.
- Free Parking
- Tour Assistance
- Includes Meat
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
Menu/CuisineThe kitchen is the heart of the Ranch. It is the place we gather, the place we celebrate, and the place that sustains us day by day.
Our food is sourced from our local and regional foodshed, and each meal is prepared by hand from whole foods. We do not own a can opener. We do not own a microwave. We minimize our use of fossil fuels by cooking on fire, with solar energy, or with methane gas from our biodigestor. We value traditional methods of food preparation as well as innovation and culinary fusion from many practices. Each meal is served with something fresh and something fermented, and most include local or exotic delicacies like pejibaye, ojoche, jackfruit, breadnut, zorillo, starfruit, tropical greens, taro, and many more.
Our kitchen philosophy is grounded in the understanding that every part of food production--from farm to harvest to storage to preparation and preservation—are inherently linked in a food system that we have the power to continuously design and implement. We believe that communities everywhere can create sustainable, regenerative solutions that render the predominant global, fossil-fuel-based food system obsolete.
Meals at the Ranch are cooked from scratch, delicious, and plentiful with the majority of ingredients coming from the Ranch and a variety of local farms. Please let us know if you have any special dietary requirements prior to arriving.