Yoga as a Peace Practice: Creating Resilience in Our Communities
- Yogaville - Satchidananda Ashram
- 108 Yogaville Way, Buckingham, VA 23921, United States
- May 17 - 19, 2019 (3 days)
- Dorm - Bottom Bunk - $440.00 Dorm - Top Bunk - $440.00 Dormitory - Private - $530.00 LGH - Single - $580.00 LGH - Double - $580.00 LGH - Family room - $580.00 Tent-Site - $380.00 (All prices include $260.00 base amount)
Yoga as a Peace Practice (YPP) is the first national initiative of the Black Yoga Teachers Alliance. It offers a self-help intervention for individuals and communities impacted by trauma, chaos, and violence. YPP highlights the contemplative approach of Yoga to illuminate new ideas, ways of being, and practices that help ease the negative impact of violence on individuals and communities. It teaches us how to transform our hearts and minds and takes Yoga off the mat and into our lives in a profoundly meaningful way. We invite certified Yoga teachers, community leaders, and heads-of-households to take this training in Yoga As A Peace Practice, a curriculum designed to facilitate deep inquiry into our perceptions of self, others, and our purpose for being.
Yoga as a Peace Practice will enable you to:
- Teach contemplative Yoga philosophy in language that is accessible to all
- Guide others in pranayama techniques to address the mind, body, and spirit
- Identify the benefits and contraindications of pranayama
- Demonstrate practices in Restorative Yoga to support the physical, emotional, and spiritual wellness of individuals
- Facilitate sharing circles and teach necessary communication skills
- Moderate constructive conversations
- Collect and record anecdotal data from class participants regarding the impact of “Yoga As A Peace Practice” on their lives
Rooted in Yoga philosophy, Yoga as a Peace Practice is a powerful catalyst to support individuals who desire to shift their perspective, approach, and path in life.
Discover how to introduce and facilitate contemplative practice in Hatha Yoga classes, conversations, healing circles, church meetings, family gatherings, and professional services to establish peace in our homes and communities.
Yoga teachers, professionals, community leaders, and others interested in supporting their communities are welcome.
Continuing Education Opportunities
- Yoga Alliance (YA): Approximately 8 contact hours
- Integral Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA) can provide you a CE certificate of your program’s total contact hours. For more information, email email@example.com.
YPP Level 1 Certification requires completion of an additional 32 hours of coursework, which includes online and tele-classes, reading assignments, and written coursework. The complete course of study for Level 1 Yoga As A Peace Practice Certification is 40 hours.
This program was life changing. As a certified Yoga therapist, I was thoroughly impressed of the quality of knowledge that was shared. My soul was touched deeply by the love, community, and wisdom. — Marsha D.B.H.
The instructors were so wise and warm. I’m coming away with a renewed reminder of how to engage in difficult social justice work in a way that sheds light, not heat. — Megan Doney
When this training [is offered again], make sure you catch it! It’s so rich and you’ll leave feeling like you actually CAN teach 10,000 folks Yoga within a year. — Mia S.
Truth is One, Paths are Many. ~Sri Swami Satchidananda, Yogaville Founder
Venue HighlightsYogaville is home to the Light of Truth Universal Shrine (LOTUS). The LOTUS is a unique temple dedicated to interfaith understanding and the Light within all faiths. Individual altars represent and honor the different world faiths and spiritual paths. The vision, design and inspiration of Sri Swami Satchidananda, LOTUS was dedicated in 1986. It demonstrates, “Truth is One, Paths are Many.” In the peaceful countryside of Virginia, the doors of LOTUS are open to welcome people of all backgrounds and beliefs.
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Tour Assistance
- Yoga Studio
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
Menu/CuisineOrganic, vegetarian/vegan food
Gluten-free and vegan options
Large herbal tea selection
Coffee is available for purchase at Mandala Cafe
AccommodationsThe all-inclusive prices of our accommodations provides you with three delicious buffet-style vegetarian meals daily, meditation, and Hatha Yoga classes in addition to other activities.
The most popular accommodations we have are Dormitory Accommodations – shared room and shared bath. We have two dormitories, Vivekananda Vihar and Ramalinga Nilayam, which are centrally heated and air-conditioned and convenient to meals and programs.
Lotus Guest House (Private Room)
Each room in our six unit guest house is equipped with a small refrigerator, queen size bed and full bath. Each room in our nine unit guest house is equipped with a queen sized bed and full bath, and no refrigerator.
Set off in a quiet, wooded area adjacent to the Lotus Guest Houses are twelve campsites. Campers have use of the bathroom, shower, and laundry facilities nearby Vivekananda Vihar dormitory. Camping is available from March 15th to December 1st.