3 Day Hula Fundamentals Experience with Kumu Hula, Malia Helela
- Still & Moving Center
- 1024 Queen Street, Honolulu, HI, USA
- May 16 - 18, 2019 (3 days)
- $1590.00 before April 16, $1790.00 after April 16
About This Event
For hula teachers interested in mentoring, this program will develop connections to the roots and foundations of hula.
Kumu hula, Malia’s guidance will encourage full immersion in the cultural background, techniques, inspiration and foundations of the much-admired Hawaiian Hula. A true cultural experience of Hawaiian hula.
The retreat will be led in the following languages:
English and Japanese
Create a true connection with the land through Hawaii’s art and beauty.
Over 3 full days, experience the many components that make up the revered Hawaiian hula:
Hula, oli, language, ceremony, lei making, culture lessons and site visits make up this immersive experience.
Throughout the intensive, kumu Malia will assess with students their suitability and interest in enrolment for the 2 year mentorship. All applicants will be required to send a motivational letter explaining their experience of hula and interest in the program.
- Kumu hula, Malia Helela’s, 2 year Mentorship program:
- A platform to deeper training, the 3 day intensive is the basis of a 2 year mentorship program:
- Starting in the fall of 2019, kumu hula, Malia Helela’s 2 year mentorship program will occur twice a year, in the Fall and the Spring – usually, late March and September, near the equinoxes. In addition to deeper training in hula and Hawaiian culture, kumu Malia will help mentorees discover or provide insight into deeper meanings of Hawaiian names for themselves and their schools.
- Sign up now for your Complete Experience:
- 16 hours training with Malia Helela, in our world class Still & Moving Center facility
- 3 days/4 nights in stunning Honolulu, Hawaii
- 4 nights – 4-star shared accommodation (double) at the prestigious Ala Moana Hotel, Honolulu
- 2 healthy meals per day- fresh, healthy, delicious meals to power you through your training
- 1 sunrise Ocean cleanse
- Access to 3 movement classes to augment your experience of Aloha (yoga, dance, martial arts and more)
- Full price: $1790
- Early Bird price: $1590 until Apr 16, 2018
- Max 20 participants
- Single room option: additional $100/night
ScheduleThursday, May 16, 2019
Session 1 - Morning lesson with hula choreography
Session 2 - Afternoon lesson with hula choreography
Friday, May 17, 2019
Session 3 - Morning lesson with lei making
Public hula lessons
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Session 4 - Morning site visit
Session 5 - Afternoon lesson with video documentation, photos and closing ceremony
Venue HighlightsVenue: Still & Moving Center is a lovely oasis in the midst of thriving Honolulu. A glorious space, equipped with aerial points, sprung mango-wood floors, sound system and gorgeous artwork.
AccommodationsAla Moana Hotel in Honolulu: 4 star contemporary hotel near swimming beach, shady jogging park paths, and relaxing ocean views. Just steps from the prestigious Ala Moana Center, the world's largest open-air shopping mall. Wide range of Dining Options. Close to Waikiki Beach area.
Shared room: comes with retreat package
Single Option: $100/night upgrade
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Yoga Studio