The Wisdom of Aging: An Exploration of Aging and the Dharma
- Wonderwell Mountain Refuge
- 253 Philbrick Hill Rd Springfield NH 03284
- Aug 15 - 18, 2019 (4 days)
- Private Room w/En-Suite Bath - $690.00 Private Room w/Hall Bath - $600.00 Shared Room w/En-Suite Bath - $504.00 Shared Room w/Hall Bath - $459.00 Dorm - $417.00 Tenting - $354.00 Commuter - $294.00
Many of us find ourselves dealing with issues around aging and how to respond creatively to this new phase in our lives. We may notice a quiet pull toward deeper, more committed practice. We may be propelled by the recognition that our mortality is closer. Or we may be living with new concerns that arise with the prospect of old age, sickness, and death – as the Buddhist teachings refer to this stage.
In our prevailing culture, aging is often viewed as a time of loss and decline. But the truth is that our elder years are filled with opportunities for growth, reflection, and deepening in wisdom and love. In this retreat, we will explore a new paradigm for aging in order to discover the gifts so often hidden in the inevitable challenges of later life.
Using Olivia Hoblitzelle’s book Aging with Wisdom as a resource, we invite you to explore these issues with us as we create an inspiring container for practice, small group discussions, and individual reflection. Offerings will include:
- Buddhist Perspectives on Aging and Wisdom
- Awareness in Movement
- Innate Compassion and Wisdom Meditation
- Aging: The Heroic Journey: An Inspirational Slide Show
- Reflective Writing Exercises
- Meditative Dialogue
- Individual time for rest and being in nature (A special gift of Wonderwell Refuge)
Please join us in what promises to be a wonderfully rich, deepening experience. Since aging is a timeless process, we welcome those of any age who are drawn to this exploration.
Wonderwell Mountain Refuge strives to offer retreats in a manner that is non-cost prohibitive and inclusive to persons of all means. If the full retreat cost would create an undue financial burden, we encourage persons to apply for scholarship and work-study. Whether one needs to request aid to defer a large or small portion of the cost of a retreat so as not to incur a financial burden, we strive to accommodate you. This link will take you to information about our work-study and scholarship possibilities.
Wonderwell Mountain Refuge Full Calendar