Introduction to Shamanism
- Elohee - retreat. renew. remember.
- 1478 Bean Creek Road Sautee Nacoochee, GA 30571
- Mar 15 - 17, 2019 (3 days)
Spiritual Retreat: Introduction to Shamanism
What to Expect in the Workshop:
Curious about shamanistic practices?
If you are on a spiritual path, you have probably heard this word, shamanism, before. It is the most frequently used term in spiritual and religious circles today. But what is it, exactly?
The English language has no comparable word for the healing practices and ineffable effects of shamanism, and for many people in Western culture, there is no language that accurately describes the experience of being in direct relationship with the divine.
But if you have scrolled down to this point, most likely you’re someone who has always known or have been drawn to possibilities that there are other, and sometimes better, ways to cope with life than through the typical American perspective on life.
The Introduction to Shamanism Workshop Will Give You the Opportunity to:
- Experience safe, non-toxic, diverse, creative ways to perceive reality.
- Expand your consciousness, and
- Generously nourish your relationship with the source of spirituality.
- In Elohee Retreat Center’s beautiful Thanksgiving House, you will be in a small, safe, intimate group setting (maximum 15 people), surrounded by 225 forested acres and within earshot of a 100 ft. waterfall.
The word, shamanism, is an Anglicized version of a Tuvan word from Central Asia (samaan.) It has various meanings.
Basically, the term refers to someone who knows ancient ways of contacting the spirits by restoring balance and harmony (within an individual, a relationship, a community, a geographical location, the weather, etc.), healing, sending away imbalanced or negative energy and so on. Such practitioners are still common in many of the world’s oldest cultures.
Shamanic/Animistic Practices Are No a New Age Fad.
In Central Asia, samaan means, ‘One who sees’ or ‘One who knows the way.’ Archaeological evidence shows that ‘shamanic’ practices have survived for at least 18,000 years in that part of the world. In the Himalayas, shamanism may be 50,000 years old or older. Shamanic/animistic practices are not a New Age fad.
There is also abundant evidence in the art and artifacts of prehistoric Crete, (7,800-450 BCE) that shamanistic practices were part of the first European culture. We will learn more about that in this introductory workshop.
In many places today women and men spiritual healers are still performing shamanic healing rituals that include helping a client to become re-connected with her/his source of spiritual power.
Wherever and however shamanism is practiced, its purpose is always the same: to restore spiritual, psychological, physical and social wellness.
Shamanism is also grounded in relationships with nature, the five elements, Ancestors, the weather and the cycles of life, death and rebirth.
Learning basic shamanistic practices allows almost anyone to experience a reliable, empowering way to enrich everyday life. When shamanism is performed correctly, one of its most remarkable characteristics is that the healing effects are typically long-lasting.
A Few Typical Effects of Shamanistic Experiences…
• They build up over time.
• Strengthen your personal connections with sources of spiritual guidance.
• Increase your understanding of your life purpose and how it relates to your immediate situation.
• Remove blocks an open the way to express your more authentic and creative self.
• Are personally empowering.
Overall, the ancient wisdom and basic shamanistic practices presented in this workshop (including journeying, rituals, ceremonies, sacred poses from prehistoric Crete, and more) clarify ways that you may embody your visionary experiences in your most meaningful relationships.
This workshop is for you, if you are dealing with any of the following:
• Loss, weakness or dysfunction of personal power. Sleep disturbances.
• Lethargy, physical and/or mental illness, PTSD.
• String of ‘bad luck,’ such as injuries, illness, relationship issues or financial problems.
• Depression. Profound sense of loneliness, emptiness, lack of meaning, hopelessness.
• Doubt or confusion about whether or not you are living your true purpose.
• Unresolved envy, fear, trauma grief, resentment, anger/rage coming from you or from someone else that is affecting you.
During this workshop, you will be given the opportunity to learn how to:
- Learn how a simple protection ritual. Learn how to create a safe, respectful, sacred atmosphere where healing may happen.
- Call the spirits of the land, the sacred directions of north, west, south and east and the spiritus of the elements: earth, water, wind, fire (and ether.)
- Experience guided journeys to the spiritual realms of the Lower, Middle and Upper Worlds (and how to return safely to ordinary reality). Learn how to honor your Ancestor spirits and learn their role in shamanism and your life.
- Enjoy opportunities to identify, integrate, engage and embody your spiritual experiences and insights.
- Translate your unique visionary guidance into empowering, creative actions that you may take in your everyday life, going forward.