Working with The Shadow: Special Retreat with Dorian Yates | Airport Transportation Included
- Soltara Healing Center
- Playa Blanca, Paquera, Costa Rica
- Jun 2 - 9, 2019 (8 days)
- Dorm-Style Shared Suite (Gender Neutral | Full Size Bunk Beds) - $3,366.00 Dorm-Style Shared Suite (Female[-Identifying] Only | Full Size Bunk Beds) - $3,366.00 Double Shared Suite (2 King Beds) - $3,793.00 Private Couples…
Dorian Yates’ philosophy and spirituality has informed his approach to both his life and his prolific career. A former professional body-builder, 6-time Mr. Olympia Winner, yoga and meditation enthusiast, dedicated father and husband, and mentor to many, Dorian applies his deeply rooted values to every aspect of his life. He shares that his success comes from being true to yourself, owning your individuality, committing to your growth, and striving to savor every moment that life has to offer. Through his dedication to his path and perseverance through major adversity and trauma, Dorian’s holistic approach translates to fulfilling one’s potential in all aspects of life.
We are excited to offer a chance to participate in a special retreat with Dorian, June 2 – 9, 2019.
Through a week of ceremony, medicine, and community at Soltara, participants will have the chance to connect with Dorian, share stories, struggles, and triumphs, and learn from this legend while diving deeply into their own healing journeys. Having worked with plant medicines and holistic therapies since his professional days, he has been able to bridge this type of healing work with the discipline and commitment of a long-time champion in an intensely competitive field. Whether you’re interested in overcoming trauma, persevering through adversity, connecting with your body, or understanding the mental fortitude it takes to break through your limitations, Dorian’s life experience can help you dig deep and connect to that inner strength and power.
Dorian is not your typical bodybuilder, nor your typical yogi. Breaking out of the stereotype of what spirituality looks like, his mission is to help others transcend the false limitations and beliefs that may be holding them back from living their most authentic life. Earning the nickname “The Shadow” – due to his tendency to remain out of the spotlight and public eye only to emerge in major bodybuilding contests and win – Dorian’s dedicated approach to his goals has inspired millions to align their life with their values, passions, and talents to succeed in any path.
Dorian’s life is a testament to authenticity, devotion, and strength. From a British working class, country boy to champion of 15 major professional bodybuilding contests, his fame and glory never swayed him from the humility and hunger that pushed him towards his purpose. After suffering major traumatic injuries (just 3 weeks before his final Mr. Olympia competition, which he won despite them), his career as a bodybuilder ended, and he was forced to transcend his previous identity. Digging more deeply into his spiritual practice, he now espouses the benefits of yoga, meditation, ritual, plant medicine and other holistic modalities.
Explore the benefits these modalities have to offer in a safe and supportive environment. Join us June 2 – 9, 2019 for a week of integrative medicine work and deep spiritual healing, combining the time-honored practices of traditional Shipibo shamanism with in-depth discussions about living your best life with Dorian.
We look forward to supporting you.
“Life is movement. Adapt to your circumstance, go with the flow, whatever you do… give it your heart.”
For this retreat, Generation Iron may be filming Dorian for 1 – 2 days of this retreat as part of their documentary series. We expect this to be minimally disruptive to the guest experience, however there may be cameras onsite. No guests will be filmed without their explicit permission, and no filming will take place in or around the ceremony, group share, or other private spaces. If you would like more information, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your stay at Soltara includes:
- Airport transportation (arrive & depart – see date and time details)
- 4 ayahuasca ceremonies with highly-experienced Peruvian female & male Shipibo shamans
- Multiple discussions and sharing circles with Dorian Yates
- All meals in our conscious cuisine kitchen, prepared fresh daily from organic, pesticide-free, local sources in an ayahuasca-friendly manner
- Floral baths with medicinal plants lovingly prepared by our shamans
- Yoga classes for all levels throughout your stay
- Guided breathwork and meditation sessions
- One-on-one consultations with our shamans (and translator)
- On-site integration workshops and sharing circles with our shamans and facilitators
- Access to our creative space for music, art, writing, and dance
- Access to a semi-private beach and equipment for kayaking, swimming, and snorkeling in the pristine Gulf of Nicoya
- High-speed WiFi in all rooms (although we encourage all guests to disconnect as much as possible!)
- Air-conditioning in all rooms
- Lifetime 10% discount for all return visits
- Participation in our premiere integration program and community with a highly qualified integration support team
- Optional add-ons including:
- Professional massages (included in single and private couples lodging; additional cost for dorm-style lodging)
Our week-long program is designed for your optimal ease and comfort, so you can free your mind to focus fully on yourself and your experience.
We look forward to having you with us.
Dear fellow travelers, if you are thinking of a plant medicine retreat, go to Soltara. It's a beautiful place with tremendous support staff. You will be safe, secure, and cared for. The grounds are beautiful with mature plantings, the rooms are air conditioned and the food is great. I got healing on levels I never expected. The whole experience is truly a gift. I believe I will be back.
Venue HighlightsAt Soltara, we work with indigenous Peruvian Shipibo female and male shamans, and have decades of combined experience working at top-rated Ayahuasca retreat centers in the Peruvian Amazon. We are honored to promote the expansion of plant medicines and holistic health in an accessible, respectful, informed way.
One thing that we noticed at the centers we came from was the strong focus on the retreat experience itself, with much less emphasis on the before and after – but preparing for the work and effectively integrating the lessons learned into your daily life is as important as learning the lessons themselves. As such, we want to provide a space to experience these medicines directly, but also ensure that we provide the tools and resources for anyone to begin, continue, or integrate their healing journey, in a way that is best for them.
Our approach to these objectives is three-fold:
- We work with a highly experienced clinical psychologists and integration specialists as part of our preparation and integration support team. These team members have a foot in both Western and traditional medicine practices, understanding health from a holistic perspective that incorporates the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual bodies. We offer individual and group sessions to help you get the most out of your experience.
- We provide high-quality videos, informative content, and educational resources surrounding holistic healing, shamanism, indigenous culture, psychedelic science, spiritual practices, and tips for preparation and integration, among others.
- We invite you to co-create a community with us that fosters open dialogue and a safe platform for people to connect, learn, heal, and share their processes with each other. We at Soltara have found, through our experience, that so much of healing comes from being vulnerable, breaking down walls, letting people in, and holding space for others to do the same. When we authentically share stories, struggles, and ideas, we open up the space to figure things out on a deep level and remember that we are not alone.
The crucial first step to healing the world is healing ourselves, and there has never been a better time. The decisions we make on an individual, societal, and global scale over the next few years will determine the trajectory and course of our survival and our legacy. This is a mission and a movement that is bigger than all of us, but that includes us, and thus it is our humble hope to contribute in whatever way we can, and empower you to do the same.
- Air Conditioning in Rooms
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking
- Tour Assistance
- Fitness Center
- Yoga Studio
- Includes Meat
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
Menu/CuisineWe believe healing even takes place in the kitchen. We take on the mantra by the Greek physician, Hippocrates: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” We honor the role of food in our lives and expand it beyond its primary purpose of bodily nourishment – food can be an avenue to dig deeper into ourselves, consciously looking at our patterns and mindsets surrounding not just what we eat, but how and why we eat what we do. Our eating habits don’t just affect our mental health, they also reflect it.
At Soltara, we aim to help you jumpstart this process of connection through conscious cooking on all levels. Diet is an important part of the healing process, both on its own and also to help prepare the mind and body for plant medicine work. We work closely with our shamans to prepare wholesome, delicious meals that adhere to the traditional dietary guidelines of working with ayahuasca. All of our meals are freshly prepared in-house by our loving kitchen staff. From fresh smoothies and juices every morning, to plant-based meals emphasizing local, organic, and sustainable produce, to lean proteins such a chicken and fish, we celebrate the rich local flavor of Costa Rican cuisine, and offer a chance to experience a connection to the land and culture while nourishing the body, mind, and spirit.
AccommodationsWe offer different room options and pricing to ensure that a high-quality healing experience is accessible for a variety of budgets. Every room includes all amenities and features listed below.
For those who prefer privacy and quiet, this luxurious and spacious suite features a king-size bed and accommodates a single guest of any gender. Also includes a free 1-hour massage with our licensed massage therapist.
For couples who prefer privacy, our couples room features a king-size bed and accommodates two guests of any gender. Also includes a free 1-hour massage for each guest with our licensed massage therapist.
For those seeking a more economical option, our shared dorm-style suite has 2 custom full-size bunk beds to accommodate up to 4 guests, along with a private bathroom, shower, and ocean-view balcony.
To facilitate your healing and peace of mind, all our accommodations feature extensive amenities, including:
An en-suite bathroom with a spacious private shower overlooking the surrounding jungle
A gorgeous outdoor balcony with comfortable seating area overlooking the jungle and the Gulf of Nicoya
A writing desk/creative space
Air-conditioning & ceiling fans
High-speed WiFi (although the WiFi is fast, we find the connection is even stronger without it 😉 )
Orthopedic beds & luxury linens
Beautiful handcrafted, locally-sourced decor & personal artisanal touches
Daily room service & linen changes throughout your stay
Clean, fresh towels changed regularly (additional towels available upon request)
Full laundry service
All of our accommodations also include all meals, medicinal plant ceremonies, yoga and breathwork classes, workshops, nature excursions, and transportation to and from the pickup location in San Jose.
DirectionsPlease ensure you reserve your spot for your retreat with us prior to booking your flights. If you have any questions during the registration process or are concerned any health conditions (including bipolar, schizophrenia, or psychosis) may prevent you from attending a retreat, please contact us first.
We offer pickup on Day 1 (Sunday) of your retreat at 12 PM from the Hampton Inn and Suites, located about 15 minutes from the Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO).
We recommend arriving the day before, on Saturday, and booking your stay at the Hampton Inn, in order to give you time to relax and settle in before beginning your journey to Soltara.
If you plan to arrive on Sunday, we recommend booking your flight to arrive by 9 AM that day, to allow time to get through customs (which can sometimes take up to 2 hours) and get to Hampton Inn in time for the 12 PM shuttle. You will arrive at Soltara around 4 pm that day, after an approximately 2 – 2.5 hour ride through the beautiful rolling hills of Costa Rica, and catching a 2:30 pm ferry ride across to Gulf of Nicoya. We are located about 10 minutes from the ferry port.
Our retreat packages end on Sundays. If you are returning to SJO, please book your departing flights after 3:30 PM. You will be returned to San Jose by 12:30 PM.
We look forward to supporting you in an immersive experience in nature, community, and medicine!