Tribe Retreat in Java, Indonesia - 5 Nights will tell more about your inner world!
- Morning meditation
- Breakfast (Local vegetarian or simple fruits and vegetables)
- Swimming in the cool river
- Book reading (If you wish)
- Helping local people (If you wish)
- Evening meditation
- Be with nature in maximum silence!
ScheduleMorning in Baduy starts easily at 3:30-4:00 — at least I woke up and came out to the bonfire that was started by the mistress. Near the fire I was offered thermos with hot water. The village atmosphere is still calm.
After meditation, I went out at the sunrise, and my face was washed over with light drizzle of rain. This is the most memorable morning in my life, it awakened and gave me that childish sense of happiness when I just enjoyed the natural landforms.
After light fruit meals I started up the trail, to experience the area.
It’s a good place for walks with easy ups and downs, I was walking enjoying village atmosphere and almost reached the entrance to «Inner Baduy».
By my request they made such a comfortable backpack Tas Baduy Dalam that is worn by every Baduy.
For me trips to Baduy are not a usual journey, I researched philosophy of Baduy related to nature. They grow rice and other cultures, don’t use modern technology and fertilizers, they do it essentially, following essential ecosystems, used for big harvests, and land fertility still is saved through the centuries.
For outsiders like us can seem strange all the philosophy and principles adopted by Baduy tribe, but from this trip I can prove how great is this tribe. For example, they are restricted to use hoes for gardening and taking care of rice paddies, they are allowed to use only sickles, because hoe can damage the soil and living beings inside. Baduy philosophy in agriculture is really simple: to process and eat they can need everything in the nature, but it shouldn’t make harm to environment. All accessible nature should be left as it is, it cannot be changed, let alone to destroy it in agricultural purposes. Results? I saw accurately planted trees. They plant fruit, such as durian, banana, duku, mango, etc. Usually to support their living they sell their harvests to the nearest markets.
Ironically, I didn’t see any rice fields, though Baduy plant rice for their own needs, but where did they do this? In forest land, all over of different plants, there were many rice plants, mixed with other trees. Results? They can collect rice all year round. Please note that Baduy have a special place to store collected rice, called late (rice barn). This rice barn is made so it can resist earthquakes, termites and mice, and big grain, kept in this shed, can be saved for years and even decades.
From time to time I’ve stopped to take a break and enjoyed the landscape around. It was exciting show, actually when I visited, it was durian season, so I watched how they collect durian fruit. A few times we were next to Baduy people heading to the fields, and I even saw how barefoot Baduy kids lifted big pieces of wood. It looked like dealing with big beams was normal for them.
When I came back to the hut, sweaty enough, I moved to the river for bath.
Baduy people really know and appreciate nature, their culture is a treasure that should be saved, cause it’s our universe balance.
About This Event
Hello friends! My name is Denis, and I will tell you the concept of collaborative trip to the tribe and what will be happening there.
This is neither a narrow TOUR, nor a YOGA RETREAT or MEDITATION RETREAT, or DETOX, etc. Nevertheless spiritual practices aren’t called off, every participant may, if desired, practice yoga, meditation, detox treatment during retreat. I can help you with something, if you want and don’t know how.
This is kind of a bigger thing than usual organized and hands-holding trips, with the days scheduled from the morning till evening. NO, my friend, here at first we will immerse into people’s life, people who accept us as part of the family. They will set the example during six days.
Baduy tribe is not kind of cannibals. They treat tourists with good faith, and happy to see them as they can earn extra money selling their products, clothes.
Tribe Retreat meaning:
you and me actually go outside of the civilization. Long time I was looking for suitable form and presentation of something true, unusual… Where you don’t need to wall yourself from people artificially and follow the prescribed plan of organizers.
Our aim as organizers is to develope maximum level of independence, so in the end you pay money not for us to do everything for you, but for understanding yourself better through seclusion, silence, helping to prepare food (yes, we’ll cook together), collecting garbage in the surroundings (if you want), walking around, simple book reading. Or maybe you are the master of something that we don’t know, so you have the opportunity to share it with us. Every participant will be able to share the knowledge and his own example.
For example, I will practice meditation (vipassana) daily, etc. Everyone is welcome to join.
- 1. Transport from Jakarta airport to the tribe and back.
- 2. Accommodation in the house with baduy family.
- 3. Food (cooked by us), grains, vegetables, fruit, local food.
- 4. Guide.
- 5. Your own wooden house (with baduy family)
- 6. Basic conditions (slim mattress, cushion, blanket)
- 7. Natural bathroom (River)
- 8. Two Meals - Local food (Rice, eggs, fish, tempe), Fresh Fruit, vegetables (Always available when you get hungry)
- The journey provides you a wonderful chance to live 5 nights / 6 days with the uncontacted tribe, that will impress you with peace and harmony. They practice a traditional lifestyle and simple life. This 6-days retreat makes you a witness of the isolated life of Baduy tribe and recover, disconnect from the noise and hectic world, problems and everyday goals.
- They live at the territory protected by the government and surrounded by panoramic green forest, which wasn’t touched by humans yet. The area is a reserve in Southern part of Rangkasbitung city, Lebak Regency, West Java. Because of the greenery, the land is covered with cold fog, especially mornings and evenings, with an average temperature around 20 degrees Celsius.
- 1. From Jakarta airport we will meet you in the car, the route will take 3-4 hours. At the end of the retreat, we will bring you back to the airport.
- 2. Upon arrival, you’ll be given your own wooden house (slim mattress and blanket), where you will stay 5 nights with Baduy family, Internet-free, and if you’re capable, gadget-free!
- 3. Trekking around two beautiful bamboo bridges, local villages, along the way you can see how they produce clothes, bags, and jewelry, and buy them for the local price, watch and feel the power of eye looks and tranquility of these people.
- 4. Swimming in a cool river, located just at the foot of the village.
- 5. If locals allow making a fire, we’ll prepare together grilled vegetables and fruits for separately of course.
- 6. We’ll dive into a day of silence!
- 7. Let’s help locals — garbage collection (if you wish).
- 8. You’ll try making crafted clothes.
- 9. We’ll listen to local traditional music.
- 10. Talk to Nature heart to heart.
- Ways of pastime:
- - Yoga
- - Meditation
- - Book reading
- - Help in cooking
- - Teaching English for kids, or immerse yourself in the research of Smith you always delayed…
- - Garbage collection in the area
- Once I thought that if I do something for others or for the planet for free, then it’s a waste of time, and always focused on the activity bringing money. Maybe you already know, how you feel after selfless giving, and if not, you have a good opportunity to develop more quality of kindness, donation, unselfish help, with your energy and time.
What's Not IncludedFlight
Venue Highlights1. From Jakarta airport we will meet you in the car, the route will take 3-4 hours. At the end of the retreat, we will bring you back to the airport.
2. Upon arrival, you’ll be given your own wooden house (slim mattress and blanket), where you will stay 5 nights with Baduy family, Internet-free, and if you’re capable, gadget-free!
3. Trekking around two beautiful bamboo bridges, local villages, along the way you can see how they produce clothes, bags, and jewelry, and buy them for the local price, watch and feel the power of eye looks and tranquility of these people.
4. Swimming in a cool river, located just at the foot of the village.
5. If locals allow making a fire, we’ll prepare together grilled vegetables and fruits for separately of course.
6. We’ll dive into a day of silence!
7. Let’s help locals — garbage collection (if you wish).
8. You’ll try making crafted clothes.
9. We’ll listen to local traditional music.
10. Talk to Nature heart to heart.
AccommodationsYour own doubleroom wooden house (with baduy family)
Local food (rice, eggs, fish, tempe)
Fruit, vegetables (always available when you get hungry)