Spirit of Sicily Yoga Retreat
- Daily Yoga and Meditation classes, Morning Class( 90 mins) to set intention for our day, the practice will include Pranayama, invigorating and grounding Vinyasa Flow and Meditation. Evening sessions (1 hour) will focus on gentler movement, Yin yoga and Yoga Nidra meditations.
- Outdoor excursions local to our property include hiking and/or mountain bike treks through the Madonie mountain region, rafting on the Pollina River with an experienced guide and of course quiet time lounging poolside with a good read!
- Guided tours available to explore local villages such as Gangi, awarded the title of "most beautiful village in Italy" in 2014, Gangi is a medieval small town, built on an ancient Greek settlement and placed at over one thousand meters altitude. Just 8 kilometers away from the Masseria, from its “belvedere” it’s possible to admire a breathtaking view of Mt. Aetna. Located about 40 kilometers from the Masseria, only 1 hour of convenient freeway drive, is Cefalù, one of the most enchanting fishermen villages in Italy, with its white beaches, cafes and restaurants and its world famous cathedral, decorated with extraordinary Byzantine style golden mosaics.
- Palermo & Catania day trips also available with or without guides, an hour and a half by car you can easily reach both Palermo and Catania and explore their lively historical centers, their incredible artistic and architectural heritage, their colorful food markets.
- Sicilian Cooking classes available with our personal Chef at the Masseria. Sicily has always been a melting pot of culture, art and traditions and also the cradle of the most authentic Mediterranean cuisine. A bridge between the Arab world and the West, over the centuries the island has developed what is considered the most original among the Italian regional cuisines. It is based largely on the use and imaginative preparation of the extraordinary vegetables that grow on the Sicilian soil. Therefore it is already largely vegetarian, if not vegan, since the origins. From oranges to lemons, to basil, mint, capers, wild fennel, saffron, tomatoes and artichokes, everything contributes to create dishes that are unique for taste and nutritional properties.
ScheduleWe will welcome each day with a 90 minute yoga practice, both indoor and outdoor options for our practice.
Followed by breakfast taken outdoors, weather permitting.
Our days will be spent immersed in Sicilian culture, Sicilian Spirit Retreat Center is located on 25 hectares of unspoiled land in the, you can enjoy your day without ever wishing to leave, bathing in our small river, trekking along the miles of paths inside the park, learning Sicilian cuisine with our personal Chef, participating in one of the many activities of the farm, from the harvest to the mushrooms picking. Or simply abandon yourself to the "dolce far niente" at the edge of the pool.
Lunch is also provided, whether on site or packed as a picnic family style or for individuals who are out on excursions.
The Masseria stands in the heart of the Madonie, one of the wildest areas in Sicily, rich in forests, valleys, mountain gorges, medieval villages. In collaboration with Madonie Outdoor, the most expert excursionist guides in the area - you can discover secluded places, cross the Tiberio Gorges by rubber dinghy, raft in the Pollina river, reach the mountain tops through secrets trekking or mountain bike trails. And then there is all of Sicily, with its millennial ancient art, its shimmering beaches, its archaeological wonders, the legendary kindness of its inhabitants. Everything easily reachable from the Masseria as individual or group excursions.
Late afternoon there will be an optional second gentle yoga/stretching/meditation session..
Evenings we will dine as a group on sumptious, healthy vegetarian 3 course dinners prepared by our personal chef, using farm to table ingredients, prepared in Sicilian tradition.
About This Event
Feed your soul with us this Fall as the Sattva sangha travels to Sicily! We will be the guests of Sicilian Spirit Retreat Center, located in the Madonie area, at the very center of Sicily. Our home will be a 17th century farmhouse and it's adjacent guest cottages, surrounded by 60 acres of a lush private park that includes secluded oak woods, a small river and a labyrinth garden dating back to the first half of the 18h century. We will begin each morning with an invigorating yoga practice to include pranayama, vinyasa flow and yin yoga.
Our days will be spent immersed in the heritage of Sicilian culture. We will be staying just a few miles from Gangi – “Most beautiful village in Italy” prize winner – and about 40km from the enchanting fishermen village of Cefalù. We will also be within a 90 minute drive to both Palermo and Catania making day trips to explore these historical cities an easy option.
Early autumn is the perfect time to experience outdoor excursions such as long hikes surrounded by the breath-taking Sicilian landscape, a rafting trip on of the Pollina river, maybe even a hike to Mt. Aetna which is about 2 hours away by car. It will likely still be warm enough during the day to enjoy a dip in the fresh water pool on the property after a long hike but also nice and cool in the evenings.
The Masseria is also a certified organic farm and produces extra virgin olive oil, wheat, vegetables and fruit that are used to prepare farm to table healthy vegetarian meals. Everything is prepared fresh from the breads and cakes, yogurt and cheeses, seasonal soups and stews, salads and of course pasta, pasta, pasta prepared with Sicilian tradition.
Price includes 7 nights stay, 3 daily meals, daily yoga and meditation classes and 1 group excursion guided hike. Additional optional excursions not included.
Flying into Catania is suggested by our host, airfare is not included in the price. Shuttle service to the hotel is included.
Available Room options:
Shared Cottages, 2 single rooms with 1 shared bath and Living space at $1595 pp
Couples Cottages, 1 bedroom with Queen Bed, 1 Bath and Living space at $2899 per couple
Terms: Cancellations up to 45 days prior to the trip are offered a 50% refund only. Cancellations at 45 days or less are non-refundable.
- 7 nights stay
- 3 meals daily
- Daily Yoga and Meditation
- 1 Group Excursion Hike
- Airport transfers from Catania airport
What's Not IncludedAirfare
Venue HighlightsSicily is an island steeped in history, awash with jaw descending ancient architecture, sweeping landscapes and sublime multi culturally influenced cuisine. An alchemical mix of Italian, French and African qualities infuse it with richness and vitality but also offer a genuinely heartfelt welcome to each and every visitor.
Nested in the heart of the Madonie mountain park, Sicilian Spirit hosts yoga and meditation retreats in a 17th century Masseria wonderfully restored respecting her ancient feudal structure. Surrounded by the silence offered by its enclosed 25 hectares park, at 650 mts above the sea level, you will be able to walk for hours in the secret inner paths and in the hidden centuries-old oak forest, get lost in the labyrinth garden of the 18th century, explore the banks of our “private” river, meditate or practice yoga at sunrise or sunset in the terrace overlooking the mountains and the valley or just sunbathing and swimming in the infinity pool. There is a main house with some single rooms as well as multiple garden cottages for couples and friends to share. We will have at our disposal a large indoor yoga room as well as outdoor yoga spaces to practice and enjoy the glorious view. Located in Western Sicily close to the beautiful town of Gangi, it also boasts plenty of indoor and outdoor relaxation areas and various accommodation all with full board. There is the option to enjoy local activities too such as rafting, river walking, mountain biking and cookery classes. A hike to Mount Etna can also be arranged and visits to local towns including the pretty s fishing village of Cefalu. The retreat centre, is ours exclusively for the week. With a large pool and sunbathing terrace, a private river, olive groves and an enchanting woodland you will be spoiled for choice whether you want to relax or socialize. There is also a labyrinth garden where you can settle into a slower pace and find some space to truly breathe yourself open.
Non yoga partners are extremely welcome to come along - there is lots to occupy the senses and to feed the soul - not to mention the belly!
AccommodationsWe have several guest cottages available at this time.
Shared Cottage, for 2 guests, 2 bedrooms with a shared bath and living space at $1595 per person.
Couples Cottages, for a couple to share 1 Queen bed, bathroom and living space at $2899 per couple
*Single rooms are SOLD OUT
- Free Wifi
- Tour Assistance
- Yoga Studio
- Bicycles For Rent
- Ceremony Space
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
Menu/CuisineLocated in the center of the Mediterranean, Sicily has always been a melting pot of culture, art and traditions and also the cradle of the most authentic Mediterranean cuisine. A bridge between the Arab world and the West, over the centuries the island has developed what is considered the most original among the Italian regional cuisines. It is based largely on the use and imaginative preparation of the extraordinary vegetables that grow on the Sicilian soil. Therefore it is already largely vegetarian, if not vegan, since the origins. From oranges to lemons, to basil, mint, capers, wild fennel, saffron, tomatoes and artichokes, everything contributes to create dishes that are unique for taste and nutritional properties.
With its 25 hectares park, its 700 olive trees, the vegetable garden, the orchard and the vineyard, the is a certified organic farm for 15 years and produces its own extra virgin olive oil, wheat, wine, vegetables and fruit, preserves and jams. We offer our guests three vegetarian buffet meals a day, based on traditional Sicilian recipes expertly reworked and lightened by our Chef. In addition, vegan, gluten free, and sugar free preparation will always be present on the table. As well as herbal teas prepared with the medicinal plants of our garden, and fresh fruit juices. The retreat center follows an alcohol free policy.