Camino de Santiago: Retreat, Renewal, & Rejuvenation for Women
- After meeting in Bilbao, Spain for a night of tapas and introductions, you will begin your Camino in the Aquitaine region of Southern France. Together, we hike for 5 days through the countryside. Your soul will be soothed by the vision of wild horses, sheep, and tiny villages marking the rolling farmlands, with the Pyrenees on the horizon. Day 6, we take a gentle pass used by Charlemagne and countless pilgrims to cross these majestic mountains.
- At the top of the Pyrenees, we arrive in the Basque Country of Spain. You will spend 3 days walking through the forested mountain foothills to arrive in Pamplona, the city made famous by Hemingway for its annual bull runs. You'll take a well earned rest day in Pamplona to get massages and shop in stylish boutiques. You can also enjoy the world class tapas bars, visit the historic Cathedral, and explore the old town.
- Our last 2 days of walking meditation will bring us into Spain's wine country, where the landscape becomes arid. Rock formations will line your views. On the last night we'll arrive in a very special medieval city to celebrate the completion of this section of the Camino.
Schedule7:30 am – 8:00 am
European Breakfast is served at your lodging
Group huddle to discuss logistics, share a poem and our intentions for the day
You'll take breaks as we encounter cafes, bridges, and scenic views
A group picnic lunch is shared together everywhere from peaceful olive groves to rustic hermitages
Keep Walking! You’ll take breaks, according to your own rhythm (taxis are available if you are tired)
4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
You’ll arrive in our lodgings, get settled into rooms, and shower and perhaps enjoy a glass of wine or foot massage
7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Dinner is a gorgeous three course meal with ample wines and fresh, local French or Spanish food. We’ll share our insights and observations from the day, in addition to meeting our hosts--and other pilgrims.
After dinner is time for philosophy, singing, foot massages, reading, writing or just jumping into dream time!
About This Event
The Camino de Santiago de Compostela has been a potent pilgrimage route since prehistoric times. The Camino is a living, breathing pathway. It will speak to you through the landscape, your dreams, and sacred encounters along the way. You will be enlivened by the magic and miracles of backpacking along this holy route, also known as the Way of St. James.
We will walk together, with each person walking at their own pace, for between 10 and 14 miles a day in the gorgeous Basque countryside. Breakfast, lunch and dinner we eat together, most days as a group in our boutique accommodations.
YESSS! I absolutely 1,000 times recommend [this trip]. This trip was the most authentic and beautiful way to get to know the walk and the history, food, people, culture, etc. All the while, having the support of the group made it much more valuable"
- Your 12 Day Trip Includes:
- Accommodations in gorgeous, family-run bed and breakfasts, restored farmhouses, and a few 4 star hotels
- Ground transportation
- 3 exquisite meals a day*
- Luggage porter services-- you need only carry a small backpack for your lunch while walking
- Carbon Offset Credit to mitigate the environmental impacts of your flight
- Packing lists, reading selections and a lot more!
What's Not IncludedAirfare to and from Bilbao, Spain. But we will help you get a great ticket! You just need to take a 15 minute taxi ride from Bilbao airport to meet at the hotel and we've got you from there.
Venue HighlightsWe stay in gorgeous family run B&Bs, working farms and 3 nights of 4 star hotels in Bilbao and Pamplona.
AccommodationsOur lodgings are hidden gems of family run bed and breakfasts, working farms, 4-star hotels in Bilbao and Pamplona and a restored 12th century farmhouses tucked throughout the countryside. The families that run our lodgings have been serving pilgrims for generations. They offer a hospitality that will open your heart and widen your view of what 'connecting with locals' during travel can look like. This is not your usual Camino stay!
- Free Wifi