Peru Cultural Immersion & Yoga Retreat
- Practice yoga surrounded by the beauty of the Sacred Valley and the majestic Andean mountain views as we move, breath & practice mindfulness in each moment.
- Our focus on meditation and mindfulness is used as a tool to cultivate profound presence and openness that we will carry with us into each activity and excursion. Some workshops will be run by Loren + Ivanna while others will focus specifically on the Andean cosmovision - a philosophy that we will be learning about throughout the course of our retreat week.
- Asana - Each day of the retreat will include physical asana, meditation and pranayama. Most of our days will begin with a 90-minute Hatha or vinyasa flow class to build our physical practice and to awaken and enliven the body.
- For days with longer excursions, our meditation and pranayama practices will be integrated at the sites that we are visiting.
- Pranayama - Pranayama is the practice of controlled breathing; a way of guiding life force energy (breath) in the body. In our practices we will introduce basic techniques for guiding our breath and evolving our ability to breathe in a fuller, more embodied way. In the Sacred Valley of Peru we are blessed with pure mountain “prana” - air/breath/life force energy - and we utilize pranayama techniques to nourish the cells of our body with fresh oxygen and experience a sense of aliveness in our spirit. This balances our nervous system, harmonizes the flow of energy in our bodies and helps us become present to the quality of our breath.
- Meditation & Philosophy Workshops - Whether it be a moving or mental meditation, we will practice controlling the fluctuations of the mind with simple meditation tools & techniques for increasing our awareness in the present moment. Simply by becoming more aware of sound, scent and the sensations of our own feelings we increase our ability to navigate our lives from a more centered space within ourselves. When we gather in ceremony we are gifted the opportunity to remember who we truly are. We are gifted the opportunity to return back home to ourselves. As we learn to integrate all the wisdom learned in our philosophy workshops, we will navigate the experience of the retreat week in a new way.
- Develop a deeper connection and understanding of Andean philosophy/Cosmovision and find yourself experiencing the culture in a whole new way. The Cosmovision provides a path for discovering profound aspects of ourselves and the Cosmos. We will spend time educating ourselves about Peruvian philosophy and the ancient offerings of the Andean civilizations that have so greatly influenced the present-day culture in Peru.
- Throughout the retreat, we will offer excursions to explore ancient ruins, temples and historic sites.
- Each excursion will be guided by your facilitators as well as our local guide, Numitor, for an authentic exploration of each site. Between excursions, we will have free-days to rest, relax & process each experience.
- Cusco Ruins/ Temple of the Moon: Enjoy a full day of cultural immersion in the ruins around Cusco that date back to the Incan empire, “Tihuantinsuyo”. We will spend the morning touring Saqsaywaman, Q’enqo, and Tambomachay which are some of the most visited ruins in the area - burial and ceremonial gatherings sites, military rest points and temples built to worship the elements of nature. Afterward, we will make our way off the beaten path to the largely unexplored, “Temple of the Moon”, to honor the site where women came to meditate, connect and pray for their fertility.
- Despacho Ceremony: It is time to connect to the wisdom that lies inside. Despacho means prayer bundle or offering and is a symbolic representation of inner healing. As the “curandero” or healer adds all the elements to the sacred mandala, the bundle becomes a living prayer. We will join in ceremony together, calling upon the powerful elements of the lands around us, to unite with the collective intention of healing. This ceremony is offered by a dear friend and Q’ero master who will explain the elements of the ritual as we move along.
- Machu Picchu: Uncover the secrets of Machu Picchu with us! One of the most awe-inspiring archaeological sites in the world, join us in exploring this sacred site and learning about it’s history in an authentic way. We will take a train together to the town of Aguas Calientes, where transportation will be organized to take us up to the ruins. After our guided tour through Machu Picchu, ample time will be offered for personal exploration, which is highly encouraged as a way to deeply connect to the energy of this remarkable and extraordinary site.
- Ollantaytambo: Called by many locals as “Ollanta”, Ollantaytambo is an ancient Incan fortress that houses the famous temple in honor of the sun, “Inti”. Also known as the living village of the Incas, as this town has some of the best preserved Inca ruins in all of Peru; many families still dwelling within its walls. After touring the ruins, free time will be offered to traverse the streets of this historic village that seems to be preserved in time.
- Pisac Ruins: Less than an hour from Cusco, Pisac is famous for its awe-inspiring markets, but most specifically for the Incan ruins that are situated atop a hill at the entrance of the sacred valley. The settlement is built on row upon row of fine stone terraces, laid out on a natural balcony. Considering it’s elevated position researchers speculate that these ruins may have served defensive purposes in protecting the southern valley. Pisac ruins also house the remarkable, Temple of the Sun, and include large terraces that are undoubtedly rooted in agriculture. We will tour the ruins together and then make our way down to spend time in the markets down below.
About This Event
Join Ivanna Kalyani & Loren Lotus of Lotus Retreats for a 9-day yoga and mindfulness retreat in the Sacred Valley of Peru. Immerse yourself fully in the beauty of Andean culture and philosophy, adventure into nature and explore the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu, Pisac, Cusco & more..
Peru is said to be one of the jewels of South America, and is the home of many Andean civilizations and their compelling “Cosmovision” that has touched the heart and spirit of all that have come to visit these lands. The complex ethnic and cultural mixture of Peru presents an entwining of indigenous philosophy, mysticism, and religious practices, that is manifested in the country’s music, literature, textiles, handicrafts, and abundant cuisine. Together we will journey through time, tracing the expansion of the Incan empire, which was one of the most extraordinary events of history to date.
Explore the Andes…
Beyond the yoga mat, we will venture into the beauty of the Andes with excursions such as hiking mountain trails, exploring ancient ruins, listening to traditional music, gastronomy and more. Our practice of mindfulness helps cultivate a sustained state of presence so that as a group we can really prepare ourselves to receive the true medicine that Peru has to offer. We are so excited to share with you some of our favorite spots!
Learn about Andean philosophy…
The Andean Cosmovision is a way of perceiving and interacting with reality that has its roots in the traditional, indigenous culture of the high Andes. This Cosmovision is not a set of concepts or beliefs and it cannot be described or encompassed by words. However, it can be experienced and it can be explored. In the Andean Cosmovision, the universe is undifferentiated and unified. It is a path with a heart and it nourishes a more loving and mutually supportive relationship between ourselves and nature and the Cosmos. A focal point of this retreat is centered around educating ourselves on how to respect the philosophy of the ancestors of these lands. Our guide, a dear friend and member of the Q’ero tradition, will help embed this understanding into our hearts so that we may carry this wisdom with us long after the retreat week has ended.
Ivanna + Loren have authentically curated this offering; they’ve pulled from their own experiences of the magic they felt in Peru. Grounded in philosophy, mindfulness, meditation, movement and connection to the ancestry of the Andean culture, this retreat is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the wisdom that is inherent in these sacred lands. Join us for an intimate retreat & adventure in the Sacred Valley infused with ancient Andean philosophy and ceremony!
- Accommodation: 6-nights in the Sacred Valley at the Yoga Mandala Sanctuary
- Meals: 3-vegetarian meals a day (vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free options available)
- Yoga: Daily classes (hatha, vinyasa, yin, restorative style)
- Ceremonies and Workshops: Opening & closing ceremony, Despacho ceremony, nature offering, additional workshops & cultural offerings
- Transportation To and from the airport in Cusco
- Excursions: Machu Piccho, Cusco Ruins, Temple of the Moon, Maras Moray, Kinsa Cocha, Ollantaytambo city center, Pisac shopping market
- Cusco Accommodations: 2-nights in Cusco at the Antigua Casona San Blas Hotel
What's Not IncludedFlights: To Cusco International Airport
Tipping money for tour guides & services
Other Food: Some lunches, snacks and additional meals when visiting sites
Accommodations7-nights of our retreat will be in the Sacred Valley of Peru, close to many historic sites & nature to explore once we first arrive. The last 2-nights of the retreat will be spent at a hotel in Cusco to explore the city, ruins & other historic sites.
Sacred Valley Accommodations
Retreat into the Sacred Valley of Peru at a beautiful bio-constructed retreat center surrounded by a variety of flowers, native herbs and water streams with musical background. Our retreat center consists of seven chakra inspired bedrooms with private bathrooms to provide you days of harmonization and inner discovery. Wake up each morning at the base of majestic mountains views, right underneath a beautiful waterfall nestled in the Sacred Valley of the Incas with natural luxure at your doorstep.
Our retreat centre is located in the small village of Huandar Chico - Arin, 10 minutes away from the city of Calca and 20 minutes away from Urubamba city. It is located in the heart of the Sacred Valley, only 1 hour away from Cusco city and 2 hours from the majestic archeological site of Machu Picchu.
Our retreat center is facilitated by a family that enjoys practicing yoga and living in harmony with nature, welcoming every type of visitor that desires to share this dream. The facilities have been designed to have the least possible impact on the surrounding ecosystem, maintaining a virtual non polluting exclusive operation. Here you will experience the native cultures (Quechua speaking) with outstanding service. Their contributions with love and simplicity help make our retreat center a unique place to stay in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
From native ceremonies to physical activities in nature, there are a variety of offerings that you can choose from to ensure that your stay in the Sacred Valley of the Incas is unique.
Stand up Paddle in Laguna del Huaypo
Flower and Plants bath
Coca Leaf reading (oracle)
Sound healing circle
Cacao ceremony with fire circle
Mother earth offering
Our last 2-nights of the retreat will be spent at the Antigua Casona San Blas Hotel in Cusco. Antigua is a boutique hotel in the heart of Cusco. The rooms are superior deluxe with a king-sized bed, in-room radiator, 43” flat-screen. Spacious bathroom with heated towel rack, and quality fixtures. Each room overlooks one of our beautiful gardens and rooms located in the casona or new wing of the hotel.
Rooms are available to single, double or triple occupancy with shared living spaces and private bathrooms. Occupancies are available by first come first serve basis. If traveling solo, we can pair individuals in double and triple occupancies, if available. If no shared occupancies are available, single occupancy pricing will apply.
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
Menu/CuisinePrana, the air/breathe or life force energy we input into our bodies is the quality of the energy we expend. Throughout our retreat week, we practice conscious and healthy eating habits. Most meals will be vegetarian and prepared in house at our retreat facility. We allow for individual breakfast and lunch times for guests to sit with themselves or small groups while our dinner times are family style and all-inclusive with one another. Some meals on long excursion days will be packed or purchase of meals on your own free time is optional.
DirectionsOur arrival airport is Cusco International. It is likely that you will have a layover in Lima before boarding another plane to Cusco. We will arrange for transportation from the Cusco airport to the retreat center in the Sacred Valley. Arrival information & details will be provided upon booking confirmation.
We realize that the journey is just as much a part of the experience as is the destination! We are here to support you fully in arriving safely to Peru & to the retreat center. We provide a shared google document for all guests to input their arrival & departure information as well as the ability to communicate with other guests traveling near the same time. We also have a Facebook group for guests to connect, share questions & interact with one another.
ReviewsWrite a review - tell others about your experience.
Similar Retreats You Might Like
The Ayaruna Center – Pisac Cusco Peru Pisac Cusco PeruJul 26 - Aug 7, 2020 (13 days)
Visiones Asociación – Pucallpa Ucayali Peru Pucallpa Ucayali PeruMar 1 - Apr 1, 2020 (32 days)
Psychonauta Foundation – Nauta Loreto Peru Nauta Loreto PeruMay 21 - Jun 3, 2020 (14 days)
Marosa Ayahuasca Center – Iquitos Loreto Peru Iquitos Loreto Peru10 Day Retreat 6 Ayahuasca Ceremonies, One Kambo and Rapé Ceremony One Shamburo Ceremony and a Master Plant Diet Marosa Ayahuasca CenterFeb 22 - Mar 2, 2020 (10 days)