Ordain as a Buddhist Monk or Nun for a month in Thailand
- You will go through the traditional ordination ceremony at Wat Pho on the 4th April, where you will then spend 30 days living as a Monk alongside other Thai and western participants.
- The ceremony includes chanting which must be learnt by heart, so you are required to get to the monastery a week before the ordination to learn this chanting, hence the retreat starting on the 29th March.
- Your head and your eyebrows will be shaved off during this ceremony, and you will be given the traditional saffron monk robes.
- The ordination ceremony will be slightly different from the men’s. Women have it slightly easier for their ordination ceremony, they do not need to learn any chanting. The arrival day will also be the 29th March but there will not be the focus on learning any chanting.
- For the full experience, it is recommended that the women also shave their heads and eyebrows. However, this is optional and the women can choose to skip this section of the ceremony.
ScheduleThe whole retreat will be in silence, to enable you to go deep into your subconscious and find real transformation.
The men will participate in alms rounds at 5:45am
There will be set meditation sessions throughout the day. It is essential that you have your own meditation practice as you are expected to practice alone and space is created for this. Teachings will be kept to a minimum.
You will eat two meals per day in line with the monks living at the monastery. These will be served at 7am and 11am.
About This Event
Are you ready for one of the deepest spiritual experience you could ever have?
This is is not for everyone. What we have to offer here is only aimed at people who have already a developed spiritual practice. You must be ready for a transformational journey. So ask yourself these questions…
Do you feel ready to dive super deep into your subconscious?
To join an ancestral rite that might change the way you see life?
Do you feel like the time of your ultimate awakening has come?
If you are still reading, this experience might be for you.
We are offering the unique opportunity to become a real life buddhist Monk or Nun for an entire month in April 2020.
This is the first time we are offering this experience. It is an extraordinary chance to join a traditional ordination ceremony and to live with the monks for 30 days in Wat Pho Ban Nontan Monastery (in Khon Kaen, Thailand).
As we said, this retreat is not for everyone. You will need to have already completed at least one 10 day Vipassana and to be curious about deepening your knowledge of Buddhism. You will also need to be available from the 29th of March until the 3rd of May 2020 and be willing to adopt a very simple lifestyle during this time.
Buddhism is not a religion, it is a path to guide you to your highest possible potential. We offer this month long silent retreat as an ultimate awakening experience. This retreat is for the serious seeker of self awakening and is not to be taken lightly.
Becoming a Buddhist monk or nun is about letting go of any preconceptions of who or what you should be.
It is all about finding out about who and what you already are underneath the conditioning and fears.
It’s about leaving your old life behind.
Are you ready for this ?
- Sleeping: We provide mosquito nets, very thin mattresses, and pillows. You are encouraged to live a very simple life during this time, so please bring as little as possible.
- Eating: You will be provided with two meals per day.
- Clothing: You will be provided with saffron robes for the men and white robes for the women. Ladies, please bring suitable underwear, white or beige in colour.
- Essentials: Bring a water bottle, towel (men please bring a saffron coloured towel (these can be purchased in Buddhist stores in Khon Kaen), women please bring a white towel), and your personal toiletries. There is no toilet paper provided so please also bring this if you are not comfortable using the bum gun!
What's Not IncludedFlight ticket to Thailand and transportation to Khon Kaen
Venue HighlightsWat Pho Ban Non Than Monastery in Khon Kaen is one of the most famous monasteries in Thailand, renowned for its active meditation program. You will be fully immersed in Thai culture from start to finish.
AccommodationsAccommodation at the monastery is dormitory style. Men and women will sleep separately.
Bathrooms are separate and shared. Please bring your own toiletries, towels, and toilet paper if required.
Menu/CuisineThere will be 2 meals served each day, at 7am and at 11am. We eat in line with the monks living at the monastery. This intermittent fasting creates the most supportive environment for deep meditative states.
Unfortunately we are unable to fulfill dietary requirements.
DirectionsThe closest airport to the monastery is Khon Kaen, a short 30 min drive away. A taxi should cost around 200 THB.
Wat Pho Non Than Monastery
171 Potisan Road
Note: There are 2 monasteries in Khon Kaen called Wat Pho, the one our retreat is in is called Wat Pho Non Than and is close to the lake.
100% deposit refund for cancellation 60+ days before event.
50% deposit refund for cancellation 30-59 days before event.
0% deposit refund for cancellation 0-29 days before event.
The remaining balance (total price minus deposit) is due upon arrival.
Get full details...