Senior UX/UI Designer
About Retreat Guru
Retreat Guru's mission is to become the leading place to find and book a safe and trusted retreat, and our initial focus is on the traditional medicine of Ayahuasca.
We believe human beings are innately wise, strong and kind. We also believe that mindfulness and meditation enable human beings to reach their full potential. This wisdom, although not always experienced, is always present. Going on authentic retreat is a beautiful way to reconnect to our basic sanity and health. Our aspiration at Retreat Guru is to inspire people to experience authentic retreats and reconnect with their innate wisdom, strength, and kindness.
The experience also helps strengthen or restart one’s spiritual practice.
To develop a unique booking software product designed specifically for retreats you need a seriously awesome team, and that’s what we are. Do you thrive in creative and mindful environments? Do you have a yearning for collaboration, authenticity, and a bit of fun while still working in the retreat and wellness space? Join our team that’s transforming the retreat/wellness community worldwide.
More information about our company can be obtained at:https://retreat.guru/.
The Position - Senior UX/UI Designer
Retreat Guru is looking for a Senior UX/UI Designer to join its growing team based in the picturesque mountain town of Nelson, British Columbia (remote candidates will be considered). You are our first design hire, and we'll look to you to define the interface between the company and the user.
In this role, you should be an analytical and creative designer who is able to grasp user needs and solve problems. A strong portfolio of successful UX and other technical projects is essential. Ultimately, you will make our product more user-friendly and intuitive to attract and retain customers.
You combine your eye for intuitive design with intelligent user data to create fresh and effective approaches to the look, feel and function of our products. You have incredible attention to detail, move quickly and demonstrate strong empathy for your audience. Your experience, both as a leader and a digital designer, allow you to competently advocate for your decisions—even unpopular ones. You have the experience to back it up and are able to synthesize complex products into simple and beautiful experiences.
You have at least five years of experience designing online and/or mobile consumer applications. Your portfolio is filled with creativity and shows a consistent progression of keeping ahead of trends in design. You lead by example, love rolling your shirt sleeves up, and are comfortable moving from ideation to prototype to high fidelity design.
Key responsibilities include
- Understand product specifications and user psychology
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Create personas through user research and data
- Define the right interaction model and evaluate its success
- Develop wireframes and prototypes around customer needs
- Find creative ways to solve UX problems (e.g. usability, findability)
- Work with UI designers to implement attractive designs
- Communicate design ideas and prototypes to developers
- Keep abreast of competitor products and industry trends
- Depending on the candidate, you may also be responsible to create and deliver a cohesive visual identity system
- 5+ years professional experience in the software/design/digital world.
- Designing online and/or mobile consumer applications: 5 years (Required)
- Proven UX/UI experience with a strong portfolio that demonstrates your work.
- A broad understanding of web/mobile UI standards, usability, and practical experience in design and development of user interfaces for web and mobile applications.
- Proficiency with design/prototyping applications such as Sketch, Adobe Creative Cloud & Adobe XD.
- Excellent communication, presentation and collaboration skills.
- Experience with UX design within an Agile software development lifecycle
Nice to have:
- Experience and expertise in graphic design
- Experience defining visual identity and driving creative direction
- Researching user behaviour, collecting feedback and translating it into better performing experiences.
- Whiteboarding ideas, sketching out wire-frames, building user flows and refining everything into beautiful high-fidelity designs.
- Getting into the mind of the user and turning user empathy into simple and easy-to-use interfaces.
- Taking initiative, working independently and you are an expert collaborator.
- Presenting ideas to the team and using your expertise and design leadership to get buy-in on new opportunities.
- Building visual identity systems and comprehensive UX/UI libraries to enable the engineering teams to move quickly and efficiently.
- an open minded individual and love both learning and teaching others
- curious and entrepreneurial
- very comfortable giving and receiving feedback
- capable of making informed critical decisions—you’re not afraid to make a tough call
- comfortable giving opinions—you ask questions and are willing to suggest a better solution
- incredibly organized and capable of prioritizing conflicting demands and tasks
- self-motivated with a great attitude
- friendly—you love people and working on a team
- willing to take risks for the good of the product and company
- excited about building a product that solves real problems and seeing it used by real people
Nature of Position: Full time
Location: Nelson, BC - Remote candidates considered. Remote employees must be willing to travel to our Nelson office as necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
Negotiable based on the candidate
We provide healthcare benefits to all of our employees and their families
Address: 303 Vernon Street, Nelson, BC, Canada. 1 888-881-0404
How to apply
Send your resume and optional cover letter explaining why you are interested in working with us to Michelle Heinz, at email@example.com
We believe that going on retreat provides a powerful opportunity to reveal the wholeness, goodness and truth at the core of all human beings. At Retreat Guru, our aspiration is twofold: to inspire people to go on retreat, and to make it easier for retreat professionals to do the wonderful work they do.